What Was YOUR First Tool Set?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:33 am

What Was YOUR First Tool Set?

For mechanics, tools are a very personal thing. Like a first girl friend...What were your first tools?
Mine were the usual mishmash old model T and Model A wrenches, old mismatched screwdrivers.
However, I DID have a Husky socket set given to me by my aunt and uncle. In a metal box, with the spark plug socket. I can still see it! I may have a socket or two left from that set 50 years ago...
Anyway, I've become interested in the history of automotive-type tools. Ebay is the best supermarket out there for old tools but usually the most expensive, too.
Does anyone here remember what and when the progression was from fixed sockets on bar handles to pressed sockets to thickwall sockets? When did Snap-On first become such a force in the automotive repair industry? Why aren't tool companies like Mossberg, Ray (Packer Automotive), Hinsdale, Duro/Indestro still around? Yes I know Mossberg still makes guns..
Snap-On would like you to think they invented removable and interchangeable sockets! Oh no!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:40 am

Re: What Was YOUR First Tool Set?

I purchased this "set" on Ebay. Inexpensive. Usually about the same to ship as it is to buy. :)
Attachments
image.jpg
Walden fixed sockets.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:53 am

http://alloy-artifacts.org

This site is AMAZING! I've learned more about old tools in a few hours than I knew in sixty years! For example:
Plomb IS Proto...and vice versa...
Duro and Indestro were run by the same people...
Earliest Snap-On sockets had "S" stamped over "O".

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:59 am

Hinsdale made beautiful tools. Once they got into the 1930s the handle styles were very pretty and distinctive.

This is the EARLIEST (?) style. I suspect 100 years old.
Attachments
image.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:06 pm

As you can see most early ratchets DID NOT have the fixed protruding square drive. And the customary 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 drives were NOT a done deal, yet. There were 9/32 drives and 5/8 drive! Weird!
Attachments
image.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:11 pm

I forgot to mention--I'm smogguy. Couldn't log on. How are you guys doing? :)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:33 pm

My first set of tools were for the sheet metal trade. Dad gave me those tools when I entered the sheet metal trade as an apprentice in 1962. I have most of those tools including my first Lufkin tape measure. I don't have any pictures, yet, I will take some pictures when I get home and post the pictures later today.
I have had hundreds of pounds of old tools follow me home. This includes a WF and John Barnes 1883 drill press. It is almost 7 feet tall, restored and around 1000 pounds.
I bought a 1897 HOEFER DRILL PRESS from MAGIHC Mike, he is a member of this forum. My last old drill press is a Canedy Otto #24. The last two are restored and in use every day.
I will post pictures of the few tools that have not been shown in, What's in your toolbox, on this forum.
Old tools is an interesting and inexpensive hobby, for a while, the good stuff is pricey.
If you think tools can be expensive, try collectable toys. My friend sold a single :t3909: brand part of his massive collection for $1,250,000. That's right, one point two five million.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:36 pm

I am pleased to have you back. This is a very good day. I knew it was you.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Howdy, Nikki!
What was the BRAND on those first sheet metal tools your dad gave you? Post a picture??

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:58 pm

Monsonmotors wrote:I forgot to mention--I'm smogguy. Couldn't log on. How are you guys doing? :)

Figured that out fairly quick. I guess how we express ourselves is unique to each individual, and even if we don't mean to, we put our own "stamp" on what and how we say things.
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion