axle shaft play

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:49 pm

axle shaft play

There is some end play in each of the rear axle shafts on my L112, i wondered if there are any tolerences regarding this, the shafts can be moved in/out when tried. I don't know if this would be standard on these trucks or if there should be zero movement etc? The amount of movement is the same each side and there is no noise from the rearend, bearings etc. It may be that this is how they were, i was wondering if someone could confirm ? Its not like they can be moved inches or anything but that some movement can be felt when tried. I have looked at the service manual but did not see anything regarding the axle shafts and end play adjustments but may not have seen the correct section/breakdown of information.
Thanks Paul.
Edit. Okay, the truck is not currently where i am. i asked somebody to look at a couple of jobs for me that might involve freeing off/heat, which i don't have. I spoke with him again and was told the play in the rear axle shafts is top/bottom, side to side, not in and out. I beleive the bearings at the hub end are taper roller so assume there should be some amount of play in them? Are these bearings adjustable? I have worked before on Mopar Dana 60 and 8 3/4 axles, replaced wheel bearings on the shafts etc, which had an adjuster thread on one shaft to take out/adjust end play overall. Are the IHC ones similar or more involved than this, and can they be adjusted without too much fuss?
My truck is an L112 with T9 4 speed, according to what i can find out the axle assembly for 110, 112, 120 are pretty much the same, mine has the 5 stud wheels.
Thanks Paul.
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2
68 TORINO GT INDY 500 PACE CAR

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:30 am

Re: axle shaft play

Anyone can advise?
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:42 pm

axle shaft end play on these is controlled by a number of shims behind the axle hold down plate, which is part of the whole brake backing plate dust housing assembly.

if you look at parts book break down, you can see a set of shims, you remove or add to get right clearance, there should be a very little play, if you adjust out all play there is too much load on the bearing.

the manual doesn't get into specifics, on this, also note that these axles the bearing is Not lubed by rear axle gear oil like a modern rear axle,
there is a plug on lower axle end behind brake backing plate,

manual states to remove plug, pump in some bearing grease and re install plug, a lot of these axle bearings go years without getting lubed because of this design.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:25 pm

Thanks for your reply, Bedrockjon. If i could find it in the manual i would understand it, i looked at the axle section and could not find anything about axle shafts/wheel bearings other than it stating to remove them when carrying out work. Certainly did not see anything regarding shims. Maybe its in another section of the manual, would you know?
Are the shims behind both plates or just on one side if the axle tube?
Have not seen how much play is there myself so will take a look when i get truck back, most bearings on the axle shafts of vehicles over here are pressed onto the shaft, roller ball bearings and not tapered so no play is felt at all at the whel end of the shafts, or very very minimal.
Thanks for the tip about the bearing grease as well. :) Would never have known without you mentioning it. Is the grease plug accessible from outside of the axle or does it need the drum taking off ?
Paul.
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:37 pm

Did you see the L service manual? I believe the 112 is the same as the 110. Heres a link, look carefully, 5 to 7 thousands. Page 1 has I dentification, page 2 has the shim settings.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/175 ... r_Axle.pdf

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:38 pm

manual mentions shims in wheels section of all places, nothing in the axle section, like I posted before, not much on it, just says adjustment made with shims

if you look in the parts catalog there is a blow up shows where everything goes, but pretty much if I remember right, goes backing plate, shims, axle retainer plate,
dust shield, and bolts.

there are shims behind plate on both sides of truck, you adjust each side separate.

the grease plugs are accessible from below rear behind brake backing plate, not inside drum area, look between leaf springs and back of brake system,
small plug, should be screw driver slot, or if replaced a square nut,

manual says to remove plug install zerk fitting up it with grease remove zerk fitting, replace plug,

the reason they didn't just have a grease fitting there (zerk) all the time is everytime truck gets lubbed someone would fill those and eventually blow seals and contaminate brakes,

not the best design for sure, that's why axles are different now.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:52 pm

kevin wrote:Did you see the L service manual? I believe the 112 is the same as the 110. Heres a link, look carefully, 5 to 7 thousands. Page 1 has I dentification, page 2 has the shim settings.

Kevin, if you are referring to what i think you are in the manual, that measurement is listed as differential bearing pre load, 5 to 7 thousandths, this is the adjustment to the bearings that carry the differential in the centre section of the axle, not at the wheel end of the axle. This is needed to set up the actual clearances for the running of the axle which affect noise, tooth engagement etc.
Thanks for looking, as i said i could not see under the axle section the diagram i needed to show the setup at the wheel end so posted for info.
Paul.
52 IH L112
68 OLDS 4-4-2

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:30 pm

kevin wrote:Did you see the L service manual? I believe the 112 is the same as the 110. Heres a link, look carefully, 5 to 7 thousands. Page 1 has I dentification, page 2 has the shim settings.

This link did not work for me, anyone else have this error ? I need it

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:37 pm

green68 wrote:

Kevin, if you are referring to what i think you are in the manual, that measurement is listed as differential bearing pre load, 5 to 7 thousandths, this is the adjustment to the bearings that carry the differential in the centre section of the axle, not at the wheel end of the axle. This is needed to set up the actual clearances for the running of the axle which affect noise, tooth engagement etc.
Thanks for looking, as i said i could not see under the axle section the diagram i needed to show the setup at the wheel end so posted for info.
Paul.

No, he is looking for the axle end play not the differential pre load, different things.
It is very similer to the Mopar 8 3/4" except instead of a threaded adjuster, they use shims at the brake backing plate, so you should feel right at home.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:29 pm

So do the shims go between axle tube and brake backing plate ? The illustrations show a shim between the backing plate and axle tube, then a few more on the outside of the backplate, rather confusing. Why would you need shims on the outside of the brake plate ? ( wheel side)

Return to L, R and S