IHC 392 V8 in an L-series?

Early 50's IHC hot rods

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:42 pm

IHC 392 V8 in an L-series?

Anyone here have one of the 1959-85 V8s in a '50-'52 pickup? I always liked those scalloped valve covers with the "International" script.

I assume you'd have to cut the steering shaft at the very least, but what else did it take?
Fan of the L-series pickups.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:22 pm

Re: IHC 392 V8 in an L-series?

A member here, MikeMiller/old, put I think a 345 in his truck. The build thread was lost when the site was hacked. You might try emailing or private messaging him. Steering is the biggest obstacle. I think it's a great choice to put an IH engine in an IH.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 28 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:28 pm

I put the 304 into an R120. Everything fit including the motor mounts. The 304 came with a 727 automatic transmission designed to fit an IHC V8. The big V8 might be a larger outside dimention????????
The 304 right rear valve cover cleared the firewall by. 5".
I used a 1977 Chevy Van tilt steering column and a Saginaw power steering box from a Dodge Ramcharger SUV. The drag link had to be cut And threaded and I used MOOG steering components to make the connection. PM your phone number and I will call with better details. I have free calling.
This was an easy conversion and could be done with common hand tools and an engine hoist.
I would do it again in a New York Minute.
A Cummins 4bta is easier to fit and install. The 4bta weighs slightly less than the original lump and is an in-line design, so the steering column does not need to be modified.
Have fun. Good stuff.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
Mark Twain

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:30 pm

Check out our 1952 L110 Shorty build up on this forum.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
Mark Twain

Return to Early Fifties Hot Rods