WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:09 pm

WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

I have subscribed to Keith Fenner at TURN WRIGHT MACHINE WORKS on You Tube. This is well worth watching. MR. FENNER is an old school machinist with a good fix for just about everything. There is so much to learn from watching his videos. His innuendo and dry humour add a nice homey feel.
Several of the videos show Keith Fenner going throug some of the tool boxes that have taken up residence on his shop, and he calls this " WHAT IS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?"
So, I was thinking that it might be interesting and possible enjoyable for members to "Open their drawers" and show us what you have. Persons should be aware that this is an open forum and anything that you post can be viewed by anyone, anywhere with a search engine. So if this makes you a little more cautious, it is all good.
So, this is what happened to my wife's tread-mill. I repurposed it. The speed control drives the 90 volts DC motor and the gear motor for the running surface lift tilts the chuck through 90 degrees
Attachments
welding positioner drive and tilt.jpg
polarity reversing switch.jpg
welding positioner controls.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Re: WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Have a look at this! Now, this is the way an IHC LB should look. BTW. it also runs.
Attachments
SISTERS.jpg
left front view.jpg
View 3.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:22 pm

I had a pleasant and surprising experience, today. Last week, I bought a collection of HAZET tools that were offered on Craig's List. I'm holding them for a friend who has promised to buy them when his situation improves. Today, the seller called and said that he found some more HAZET tools whilst cleaning his space and he wanted to deliver the extras, no charge. The seller was pleased to see IHC in our shop and he promised to return tomorrow with a bunch of NOS trim and anything else that might be Binder, also no charge. Apparently, he drove IHC for many years. His trucks were R&L models.
I had been looking for an antique electric motor for my WF and John Barnes drill press restoration/improvement. I had a few ideas of what I thought I wanted and the only constant was, it must look very old. A 75 year old 230 volt 2 horsepower GE monster appeared in my shop, just after noon, today. It had been here all along and I forgot that I bought it from a "thirsty friend" 25 years ago. Sadly, he turned yellow and died because he was unable to beat the curse. The motor remains and after a freshening, and a repaint, the motor will get some graphics that will remind us of the loss of our friend. He was a genius in all things mechanical and refrigeration.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:05 pm

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 10, 2013 2:28 am

So far, this remindes me of home, I'm talking to myself.
It is garage sale season and the treasures are waiting to be found. I picked up a very good condition 24 inch Rockwell Beaver scroll saw for $25 including the motor, belt, switch and wiring. Sadly, the desirable stand had been misplaced and could not be found.
With luck on my side, I discovered a NOS L110 pair of numbers and R /L complete turn signal assemblies In another box of junk, I found a complete set of NOS R interior door handles and window cranks. The seller had an IHC pickup and worked for a dealer many years ago.
Under the heading, "It's a small world ", I bought the anvil in the auction when that dealership closed, 25 plus years ago. I also picked up 25 litres of Dextron 3 for ten cents each. I rescued another real Vice Grip for a buck and it becomes my 146th pair. Have some fun garage saling , the weekend is almost here again.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri May 10, 2013 7:48 am

Sounds like a good bunch of Finds. I probably paid a little more than I should, but I picked up a complete set of 6 INDUSTRO wrenches.
the small one is 5/16 on the box side and 7/16 on the open side, and goes like that up to the large one with 3/4 on the box side and 7/8 on the open side. These were made in Chicago, and held together with a screw and wing nut through the center of the wrenches.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri May 10, 2013 9:36 am

Which tool box? I have a "few" in the garage. Each one with specific tools.
ie, wrenches in one, body working tools in another, etc.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 10, 2013 11:58 am

Well, since you mentioned it, I have 5 rolling 30" toolboxes, and two large work station units. One of the work station units came from a garage sale and was $40 and needed 6 hours of intense cleaning. There are two Snap On shop service carts, one with drawers and Akro Mils bins below for electric parts and all of the electric tools and test equipment in the drawers and fold-out trays. The other is on four casters with open shelves, a folding tray on one end and a side cabinet on the other. All but the MAC workstation were from garage sales, it was bought off the Mac Tool Truck. I'm down to less than ten small tool boxes, with handles, most are empty. A few are mounted on equipment. I got a really nice and very old fold-out cabinet makers wooden tool box, probably built by the deceased Carpenter. It has 20 inside drawers for hardware, It came from another garage estate sale. My wife took my Hazet Companion for her stationery, it came from a garage sale also.
I seldom go to garage Sales now. I'm trying to downsize. Don't miss my garage sale. Did I mention my drafting table collection and mechanical arms to go with them? I had more ten at one time and there are only three left, now. My son claimed the radial axle unit and my wife took the portable 30" antique for her office. I'm keeping my big Hamilton with drawers, I've owned it for five decades. The drawers are full of drawing tools. Just for fun and to exercise my brain, I took Auto Cad in night school. Since it is all a game and I'm retired for years, I like the old school hands on a little more. You don't get all those neat things with Auto Cad.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 10, 2013 4:51 pm

Make sure you post a garage sale invite on here. If you're in the western provinces, I might just have to dig out my passport for that one! ;)
"How the heck did that happen?"

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri May 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Would love to see pics. of the drafting tables and the mech. arms.
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion