Now if they only made one in 6 volt...

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:41 pm

Now if they only made one in 6 volt...

Does anyone have any real world experience with something like this:
http://www.maxwell.com/esm/
I am looking for experiences, how well they work and how long they last. They are NOT a replacement for batterys, but in addition to. they crank the starter,and the batterys carry any and all other loads.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Re: Now if they only made one in 6 volt...

There is a small hotrod shop in Abbotsford, BC that sells this technology under a different brand name. This same guy sells the sound and heat insulation that I bought for our car project. This guy's trade was Automotive Electrician/ Engineer. He has only the best o say about this batteries system. I got the impression that these batteries are about half the size and weight of lead acid or OPTIMA batteries with the same power output. The battery that I was shown was about twice the cost of an OPTIMA. I am still thinking about it.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:15 pm

The thing I showed is NOT a battery, but a super capacitor, it can not be used on its own, but requires another true battery to go with it. It gives a 3 sec or so blast of high current before it is "spent" and need to be recharged.
I 1st heard of them 20 years ago, they were used start large diesels in artic conditions. I think I saw one being used at a military depot when I was delivering some old equipment with "dead batterys". they had a thing on a cart called a "Tesla" that would crank one diesel right after another with dead batterys. One the engine started, they left it connected for a short while then moved on to the next unit.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:54 pm

You are correct. A capacitor stores electrons. A battery will store and make electrons. I have heard these super conductor units referred to as batteries, which does not make the naming correct, while it simplifies the understand of the final performance. I got the impression the super capacitor storage unit, I was shown, was a combination of the Optima battery style of gel-cell battery and a bunch of super capacitors linked to get the voltage.
I am very curious and more than likely going to buy one. I will certainly post something if and when that happens. I need to do some more research.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:48 pm

I thinking of it as a poor cousin to an air start. I have one truck that doesn't have room for a conventional air start tank on the frame. This would allow one battery space for the super capacitor, and three for deep cycles, letting me run my heater or fan all night with the engine off, and still start the next morning like I do with my air start trucks.
Before I shell out the $900 or so they want for it I would like to talk to someone who has one.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:09 pm

I don't know if anyone else is interested, but I posted the same info on SmokStak and got quite a few coments and some posted links to U-tube vid of some starting and running their car with 6 D cell sized supercapacitors. He is a link to that discussion.
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138681

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:27 pm

Well, CB89, you certainly spiked my interest. I watched a few You Tube videos. Interesting, for sure. I think it is remarkable how fast one of these unit recovers. The common lead acid battery start is long overdue for a tech change.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:37 pm

I guess cell to cell voltage matching is important to prevent over-heating and failure, which is something the experimenter's lack, but the factory built one doesn't. If I were going to go down that road, for a big bore diesel, I'd pay the price for the factory one. I am very impressed with what the home builds can do on a car however. wouldn't be too hard to make a 6 volt version of what the home builders made in 12 volt.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Well I have neigh on 2 years living with one on almost a daily basis. Things learned: 1, connections are a problem just as with any electric starter, but all the current is passed thru 2 3/8" studs (to resemble a normal battery) but would be far better off if they used 1/2" studs like a starter does. 2 it will re charge off the truck battery many time if it doesn't start on the 1st go around, Not sure how many times, as I never ran out of juice!
My recommendation to anyone who wants follow in my footsteps, would be to buy the 24 volt version which will cut the current in 1/2 and make the cabling and cranking current more reasonable. The 24 volt unit will charge on a 12 volt system as per Maxwell. You will need a 24 volt starter, but I would recommend a fresh starter when investing over a grand into the Maxwell anyway. 24 volt and 12 volt starters cost about the same. The truck remains 12 volt and its electrical system never "sees" the 24 volt supplied to the cranking motor.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:41 pm

According to "Auto Electronics 101" circa 1980, only capacitors can store electrons. Batteries store "chemical energy".
Yes, electrons are involved. :)
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion