466 in kb8

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:18 pm

Re: 466 in kb8

I'll have to see if the radiator would fit.. If not I will measure a 66 or 86 series tractor radiator as they are narrow.. I was planning on an external air cleaner as your right about not being enough room.. The 466 is a few inches taller than the red diamond.. It does have a hydra vac looking system on it and I'm sure it is junk.. Any ideas on where to find brake parts..

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Don't be so quick to toss the "hydrovac" or airpac if it is there. I have found them to be very reliable and they often get blamed for other problems. (if someone doesn't know how it works,then it is easy to blame it).
Airpacs are rare but were used to make a hyd braked truck work as a tractor pulling an air braked trailer. If you have one, it is worth holding onto. Even if it is defective, it has a core value.
trace out what the truck has now. Air pac's look like hydrovac's but the power chamber is much smaller then the hydrovac.
The the K was used as a tractor it should have an air pressure gauge (if it ever towed an air brake trailer) as well as some sort of trailer air control. Look for air tanks on the truck.
Let us know what you have with pictures if possable.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:14 pm

What region are you located in? It might help someone that may have parts you could use.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:20 pm

When it was retired from being a tractor it had the frame lengthened three feet and a fertilizer gravity boxed installed.. There were air lines running to the rear of the cab and we're cut off as they didn't use them anymore... I have the whole truck disassembled ill get it out and have a better look at the hydra vac unit when I get the chance... I measured the radiators today and they're about the same width and the 466 one is a couple inches taller.. I believe I can make that fit easily under the hood and put the pressure tank there too... It looks like I'll probably have to notch the firewall a little to give engine a little clearance and adapt the drive shaft.hopefully nothing else major has to be done as far as the engine goes... Has anyone put power steering one one of these? The gearbox it one the inside of the frame.. The S series is on the outside and in the front.. I didn't know if there was one that would go in place of the original... Thanks for the info so far guys.. Been a big help.. I live in Walnut Illinois...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:33 pm

This sounds like a really neat project if it turns out to be viable. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more! This reminds me of the R-190 I saw on ebay a year or two ago that someone put a 466 in. The firewall had a doghouse so big the throttle pedal was moved back several inches and even then there was barely room for your foot.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:10 pm

Why was this moved??? A K is a K is a K,it should have stayed in the K/KB section which is not model number specific. Whether it's a K1 or a K14 it's still a K. If it's OK for a 5,6 or 7 (which to some are "large") to be left in the section why not 8's and up? Why have double standards???
To validate this I see the OP posted a new question in both sections,if it was in the K section...
That (^^^) makes it confusing, harder to follow a thread/topic and is redundant as well.

In actuality this section should have a different title anyway,like "Other Models". Reason being,trucks without a designated section only should go here and not all are "large". For instance,the CO/VCO are medium duty which in the industry are not a "large" truck. To me a "large" truck refers more to trucks like Emeryville's,Transtar's or Paystar's etc. and for simplicity's sake Fleetstar's or V-series.

That's my POV.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:24 pm

When I get back to working on this project again I'll post some pictures in the k kb section.. I got this truck a year ago and stripped it down to the frame.. My agenda was to get the drivetrain taken care of first, and now that I have recently acquired that I'll get it removed from the s series truck and begin with the mods to make it fit in the kb chassis and sit the cab back on it to see what mods will have to be done there.. I'm excited to finally have most of the pieces of this puzzle ready to go.. I've been dreaming of this build for a long time now so hopefully it goes fairly smoothly..

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:48 am

Esurkb wrote:When I get back to working on this project again I'll post some pictures in the k kb section..

Just another reason this should be a build thread in the K/KB section,which is where any questions and pix can be posted.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:48 pm

There's a "New" member ,with an Emeryville. We're both members of "Stovebolt.com",too. Kenneth Crenwelge has a good knowledge of converting juice brakes to air. Send him a P.M.,and I'll bet he'd be more than happy to answer your questions,and help you out! He's been in the trucking business since the EARLY '60's! OH,B.T.W... Check out this KB12!! It had a BIG Continental gas engine,but was converted to 250 Turbo Cummins! Even under that loooong hood,NO ROOM TO SPARE....https://youtu.be/wyT073WNUwI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:44 am

Bill,
I've run across the videos of that truck several times. It really is sweet sounding. Says the videos were filmed in 1997. I wonder if the truck (and owner) is still going to events? I saw a couple of ATHS signs.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.
PreviousNext

Return to Large Trucks