466 in kb8

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:50 pm

466 in kb8

Hello I'm new on here. I am restoring or I guess building a kb8 truck. It originally was a road tractor with a red diamond 401/406 engine with an overdrive trans.. The motor hasn't ran in a couple decades and mice and moisture have taken a toll on it, needless to say it isn't going to be revived.. I always wanted to make this truck a diesel, I have acquired a 466 with a good trans and going to install it in this truck and make a small semi to take my restored tractors to shows.. I know this is going to take a good deal of work to complete the swap, but I am a mechanic and fabricate things similar on a regular basis.. I was wondering if anyone out there has done this and has any tips to help .. I believe the stock radiator should be big enough to work, or do you think I need an auxiliary one too.. Any help would be appreciated...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:47 am

Re: 466 in kb8

Welcome to the site . Lots of information here and some great folks . Your truck sounds pretty cool , would love to see a picture of it .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:16 am

Esurkb,
Welcome to the site! This swap has probably been done before, but I haven't done it myself or seen pictures of one. Is your 466 from a truck or ag application? If you don't already know, switching from a truck to ag harmonic balancer/front pulley will gain you an extra 2"-3" of clearance. Here is a link to an ag balancer for a 312 to an early 466-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/680275C92-VIBRA ... 2a&vxp=mtr

Later 466's used a different balancer.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:27 am

The big question is if the truck had juice or air brakes? The engines operate at or close to the same speed so hopefully, with no or only a tire size change you can get the speed you want.
If it had juice brakes it might be simpler to add an air-over hyd system then change axles. or brakes. Esp if you are going to tow a trailer.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:12 am

The engine is out of and currently still in an s series international truck.. My truck has hydraulic brakes, and it had an air brake setup for a trailer but it would have to be rebuilt.. I do not have a trailer yet so I don't know what kind of brake system it will have.. Originally I was going to jus put my cab on a newer chassis but with the narrower front axle it was going to be hard to fit it over the wider axle that the newer trucks have.. I decided to install the engine in my original chassis so it would still have the original appearance with a good reliable power plant under the hood.. Do you know any good way to convert my original axles to air brakes.. The truck I am taking the engine out of has air brakes, I don't think they will adapt to my axles but I will have a compressor and brake pedal valve to use.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:20 am

I think the best and easyest solution is to use the air pac if you have one. These work like a hydrovac but with air pressure in place of vacuum. You could then run a line off the air chamber to be a signal line for the trailer, and have a regular air braked trailer.
another option is a lighter trailer with electrical brakes.
a third option is a complete air brake system on the cab driveing a "hyd intensfier (an air chamber driveing a master cyl). This is what many Isuzu cabover trucks used.
I don't think it would be easy to retro fit your present axles to air brakes.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:00 am

Wondering if this would be a good thread for the "Large trucks" section? Could start a Question thread and a Build thread. What do you fellows think? And it could remain here also. Let me know, thanks.

Lloyd

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:17 am

Yeah that would be good.. I'm new here and didn't know there was a large truck thread.. Sorry

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:05 pm

NO! It's a K so keep in this section,in this case "size doesn't matter" ;) :lol: .

Unfortunately Irish Mike doesn't have the books for this model but,going with the truck's class it very likely has a Hydro-vac brake system.
I highly doubt anything off the donor truck's air brake system wheel brakes can be "swapped" to a K,but without knowing the spec's (F & R axles) of both trucks it's hard to be sure. I do have the MT-140 parts manual for '79-'83 S1600-1900's,which might be helpful(?).
Since the donor has AB's you have a compressor so the idea of an air pac is viable giving the "tractor" air over hydraulic brakes and eliminating the H-vac.This leads me to ask what size if the compressor,7-1/4,12,13 or 16 CFM? It's questionable if a 7-1/4 would be able to sustain enough air for trailers and maintain the reservoir tank(s). That's not a real problem since remote mount comp's have the same base size a larger one will fit the mount and probably only require new hosing.
The radiator is also questionable,how many rows does it have and how much pressure will it handle? The DT in an S-series should have a 15lb cap and a surge tank IIRC(?). I'd check fitment of the donors rad. (if possible) and see if it could be used along with the surge tank.
What about the air cleaner? The S-Series one is pretty big and mounted on the firewall,will it fit under the K's hood? I kinda think it won't espeaialyy with enough space for the surge tank. It reminds me of the R 190 up when they had a Cummins,the AC had to mounted on the right cowl/fender. If an external AC is needed I'd check an older Mack R or U model (yeah,yeah,so sue me!) and see if it can be adapted,they're very close to what the IH R's used and probably much easier to find.
Those are just what came to mind after reading this thread,I'm sure it's only the tip of the iceberg of things to check into.

I'd have to reiterate what Brian/Nikkinutshop and others tell people contemplating such an endeavor,make a detailed plan and list before beginning.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:52 pm

If there is not enough room for the air cleaner under the hood, an external one (maybe even chrome?) could be added on the passenger side.

http://www.bigrigchromeshop.com/Merchan ... TGY/PEACAA

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.
Next

Return to Large Trucks