OUR 40 FORD

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Re: OUR 40 FORD

I thank you, SG.
Today,I got the supercharger installed and after a little line up, the bolts were tightened, for the last time, or until I need to change sparkplugs one and two. There is a centimeter of clearance so the supercharger must be lifted just a little. The next task was installing the right exhaust header and torqueing the fasteners. Rather than make gaskets, I decided to use LOCKTITE GASKET ELIMINATER. the charge-air duct connect to the manifold adapter with two VITON "O" rings to allow a little movement.
The charge-air ducting, intercooler, coil cover, alternator bracket and air filter housing are going to GREG'S body shop for some high gloss black paint.
My only reason for doing all of this with a FORD FLATHEAD is to see if I can get it to run as well as a SBC. When those intake valves open there will be about 10 pounds of boost waiting . Remember that boost pressure is a measurement of the air engine could not inhale.
Ask CB89 about boost and two stroke Detroit engines.
I do not want a SBC in my FORD for all the reasons that have been argued here many times.
Attachments
CHARGE AIR DUCT TO MANIFOLD ADAPTER.jpg
CHARGE AIR AND MANIFOLD ADAPTER
4 COILS FOR 8 CYLINDERS ecu CONTROL.jpg
ECU CONTROLLED COILS
ALTERNATOR AND TONE WHEEL DISTRIBUTOR.jpg
MODIFIED MALLORY WITH TONE WHEELS
M92 WITH AIR FILTER.jpg
HOME MADE AIR FILTER ON eATON m92
EATOM M92.jpg
EATON M92
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:52 pm

This is shapeing up to be one of those projects that you don't ever want to tally up the bill on. It is amaizing what a man can do if he is willing to put the time in, not to mention the money (sorry, I just mention the M word). It all comes down to mixing and breathing, both you have updated with the best of the best, so I see no reason why you'll be disappointed with the outcome. I can't wait for the "drive report" when it is done.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:12 pm

I feel a small amount of panic when I think of driving it. Of course, I had this same panic when we took the R120 out for the first time. My kids and I must have looked like a circus act with our ear muffs and on our way to the muffler shop. That 6.9 was deafening.
The build-up is very much the same regardless of the badge on the fender.
I do not smoke and drink, so the cost of doing something like this may have less affect on my budget. Everything else is just my time and there has been many hundreds of hours of time well wasted. Well, the truth is , it was an excuse to buy tools.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:37 am

There in lies the truth to all your endeavors. You're a closet tool addict! Although, I don't think you're still in the closet anymore. The tools have crowded you out.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:16 am

BUSTED.
I can post a picture of my "HAZET COMPANION " later today. I found these two on CRAIGSLIST in one day. the red one was $25 and the blue one was $40. A HAZET collector bought the blue COMPANION for $700 the next day.
Everyone who comes out needs a companion. LOL
Attachments
COMPANIONS.jpg
COMPANIONS
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:48 pm

There was a mixed bag of things done on the car today. We installed the door hinges, finished drilling the fuel rail so we could install it and the injectors. Much to my disappointment, every top "O" ring was cut enough to destroy them. The injector top connector caps were razor sharp inside. The last part to go on was the oil filler/crankcase vent that shares the same mounting place and bolts as the base for the boost referenced fuel regulator.
Tomorrow, we are delivering parts for finishing.
Attachments
A COMMON FUEL RAIL.jpg
fuel rail and injectors
INJECTORS.jpg
injectors
OIL FILL CRANKCASE BREATHER AND BOOST REFERENCED FUEL REGULATOR.jpg
oil fill crankcase breather fueo regulator
22 PORT BULKHEAD CONNECTOR BEFORE.jpg
WEATHERPAC 22 FITTING
WIRE FITTING COVER.jpg
FITTING COVER

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:43 pm

I have some Stalwile (sp?) from my Britsh Std/Whitworth day of working on old buses, and I think one Hazet 27mm from my days owning a 356, but don't think either are worth the hipe. Never been a tool junkie, but worked with a few. For me, its whatever gets the job done. I have quite a mix in my tool box.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:18 pm

I am with you on what gets the job done. When I was working I had a few wrenches from different companies for different jobs because some worked better than others. I liked some of the HAZET for very narrow spaces. I bought some non American wrenches to cut up, as required. I welded 1/2" drives on a few of them and "T" handles on others. Some of these crap wrenches went under the milling machine to thin them out and take the dumb names off. I needed a very large adjustable crescent style wrench and I was not prepared to pay $300+ off the tool truck. So I bought an off-shore 18" wrench, bored and bushed the adjuster pivot pin, milled the jaws down to 5/8" thick then milled off the name. HAPPY SQUIRREL. What is that?
About 6 months ago, I responded to a CRAIGSLIST ad for a box of CANADIAN made sockets, extensions and a GRAY ratchet. I did not look at the sockets and just handed over the $10 asking price. When I got home, I discovered that all of the sockets are BSW. After a good cleaning, the BSW will go into the RUSTON HORNSBY tool box.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:28 pm

The day started off with a parts for painting delivery trip. the trip ate up more than three hours so the time in the shop as cut short. I did find replacement "O" rings at NAPA for 60 cents each, I replaced the damaged ones, chamfered the sharp edges and slipped the injectors in then secured them with clips. The fuel lines were hooked up and tightened then is was time quit for the day.
Attachments
NEW O RINGS AND INSTALLED FUEL LINES HOOKED UP.jpg
mounted with new "O" rings installed
TOOT TILT TURN.jpg
WALKER RAD READY TO INSTALL.jpg
the side panels will be painted black
MOPRE STUFF FOR THE PAINT SHOP.jpg
more stuff for the painter

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:28 pm

that engine will be nice. flatheads sound cool too.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion