OUR 40 FORD

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 15, 2014 7:58 pm

OUR 40 FORD

The FORD is nearly ready to come home. Here is the colour, MEDIUM WEDGEWOOD BLUE METALIC, on a few of the bits and pieces. The colour is a 100th anniversary colour shared by FORD and HARLEY DAVIDSON, in 2003. The FORD will displace the L110 for a short time. My son will be preparing many of his L110 Binder bits and pieces for yellow cadmium plating and paint, while the FORD is in the assembly stages.
I will have to say this because it might be important to someone other than myself. We have spent a surprising amount of money having the car body cleaned with walnut shell abrasive. While the surface looked really good, there was rust hiding in a few places and there was almost instant flash rusting on every exposed surface which was made even worse when the first of four body shops used a water based primer and made the situation much worse than it was. The body and all of the parts had to be recleaned and then covered with etching primer.
Yes, there were 4 body shops. The first highly recommended body shop screwed up with no primer foe more than a week then applied the wrong primer. Body shop number 2 agreed to do the work then was unable to get organized in the next 11 months. Body shop number three (3) just plain forgot and when the date came and went, I dropped by to see what was happening and the shop was booked until September and the owner said, "Sorry, I forgot!" Shop four(4) is a restoration shop and the highest priced, but he took the FORD the next day, after we met to discuss the details. The work started that week.
This FORD was started about 10 years ago and got delayed while I went through successful cancer treatment. Then life happened in other ways further delaying the FORD and this ate up more than half a decade. Now that I can see the end of this project, I have mixed feelings and some anxiety about the first drive. The first drive has always been anticlimactic because the build was the big deal, for me.
In 1990, I sent our R120 to REDI-STRIP where they did a chemical strip in a total submersion tank. After a careful power wash and detailed cleaning, the R120 was placed into another total submersion tank where the parts were subjected to an electrolysis treatment that removed all of the rust, hidden and obvious. There were many persons who had nothing good to say about the REDI-STRIP process and told me that the chemicals locked in the folds would take the new paint off and life as I knew it would end, painfully. WELL, after more than two decades and 250,000 miles the R120 had not rusted through except where the etching primer was rubbed off between the fenders and the grill.
What have I/we learned from these two events. We will be sending my son's L110 to REDI-STRIP for metal cleaning and prep. Even though REDI-STRIP can be up to twice as expensive, up front, I now know it would have been a better choice and in the end the cost would have been less.
REDI-STRIP use a thin spray on surface prep that protects the bare metal from rust for a week when dry and maybe a day or so if it rains.
There is no short-cut to success. There is no magic in a can. My Dad used to say, " Nothing in life is free".
Attachments
GRILL PARTS 2.jpg
HPIM2018.jpg
HEADLIGHT BEZEL1.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 am

Re: OUR 40 FORD

Wow that's nice, can't wait to see it all back together.
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 16, 2014 10:20 am

Has your Cummins been released yet?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 16, 2014 10:57 am

I'm a little biased because blue is my favorite color, but I REALLY like that paint!

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 16, 2014 4:12 pm

NNS

We won't talk about the cummins at the moment. Still waiting to hear why but it has got a big yellow quarantine sticker on it. Will be talking to the import bloke on Sunday at a rally we are taking the 27 to so hopefully I will know more then.

The old saying. All good things come to those that wait.

Comes to mind for both your Ford and my cummins

Trevor

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 16, 2014 10:22 pm

Trevor, Hope your Cummins is cleared soon. Guess this gives reason to my ulcers I got trying to make sure the bits and pieces I sent you didn't get tagged. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 17, 2014 6:48 am

Mike

All the extra effort you put in on those parts really was worth it as they sailed thru quarantine without a problem. Have been hearing some real scary numbers for cleaning costs on trucks in the last few weeks so I am really hoping I don't get slugged to hard.

NNS

Keep us updated on the Ford

Trevor

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 17, 2014 1:25 pm

It looks like my son will be leaving for California sooner and we will not be able to clear the shop before he returns. So, I was all worried about finding a place to put the FORD body parts, temporarily, until we can get them put back on the car. My good wife to the rescue, again. She has moved all of the furniture aside and made more than enough clear space for everything except the body. She even offered up some new sheets to cover the pieces. While at first it might sound terrible to put car parts in the living room, but, the parts are like new, it is temporary and the living room has French doors on both ends and we seldom use the space, unless she has friends over. Most of my friends are confined to the family room.
The body and paint guy said he would be happy to keep the FORD for a few weeks.
Just for fun here are a few pictures of the naked FORD frame and engine.
I wore down some time and measuring tools to get 6 gauges in the billet dash insert. I have manual lathes and an manual milling machine, so there was some time consuming lay-out. Making the chips fly took about two hours after set-up. The face of the insert is a double compound diminishing curve.
I suppose I cheated by ordering a small tachometer, but - - - the neighbour said 6 was not possible. The insert started off as a 6 inch by 15 inch by two inch thick piece of aluminum flat bar. The gauges are installed from the rear which tunnels them and reduces the glare on the faces and makes enough room for six.
Attachments
HOME-MADE DASH INSERT.jpg
I was told that it is not possible to get 6 gauges in a 40 dash, without cutting
totally ceramic exhaust.jpg
CERAMIC COATED EXHAUST AND GEARVENDORS O/D
All Ford, really.jpg
THE "DISTRIBUTOR" HOUSES A TONE WHEEL AND TWO POSITION SENSORS.
All Ford, really.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 13755 times

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 21, 2014 7:44 pm

I got "THAT CALL" this morning, from GREG'S COLLISION in Chilliwack. Greg said that he had been painting the FORD and I should consider coming for a few of the bits and pieces, because they are ready to go. He thought that it might be better to not try and take all of the parts in one trip because of the possibility of damage. SO, it looks like the parade has started. I am thinking that "WE" must stop for lunch at the Chilliwack Airport for lunch. The diner is called I FLY FOR PIE. http://www.airportcoffeshop.com Well, they have the best pie and a rather large selection. MY favorite, SASKATOON BERRY. BTW: They sell real ice-cream that clogs your arteries and send you to your grave with a satisfied smile.
Greg is sending more pictures later today. So far he has emailed nearly 1000 pictures of the work he has done. It takes more than an hour to look at all of them.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 22, 2014 8:25 pm

We made a trip up the Fraser Valley to pick up a bunch of small parts today. After careful a wrapping of the bits pieces, we took them home and my wife placed them all in the living room.
We will have to make this trip several more times, next week. The car will be delivered on a roll-deck truck in about 7 days. These are exciting times, for us.
The colour looks even better than I thought it might. Move over Dean, I like the colour also.
Attachments
glove box door.jpg
LR DOOR.jpg
FIREWALL 2.jpg
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion