Bad gas tank

Early 50's IHC hot rods

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:14 pm

Re: Bad gas tank

kevin wrote:Kserver, what are your dimensions on the original tank with the flange? I had contacted Tank Inc by certified mail with the repop tank stuff, I had it edited by a pro, no answer, no reply. Kinda like the old Elvis tune, lol. I tried to explain there was a market for the oldihctrucks.

I'll have to get my gas tank out of the rafters to measure it Kevin, it's been in storage for a couple years now. KSever
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:02 am

I realize every tank has it's own history. My L110's tank was cleaned by a company that specializes in that and car stripping. They did a nice job, but I found that the tank then had a series of perforations where it rested on the frame supports. I had some 16 ga. metal pieces TIG welded over the perforations and ended up with a better support and the holes plugged up. A tank sealer was also added inside. The repaired tank seems to be holding up very well.
BTW. The gas cap came from NAPA and was about $5-6. All the ones from travelallparts.com, etc. were in the $18-19 range. It is a generic cap (vented) and not specifically an IH designated cap.
Attachments
IMG_1287x.jpg
repaired tank in place
IMG_1156x.jpg
before removal
IMG_1169x.jpg
removed and before cleaning/repair
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:51 am

Venting is important. Because of all of the rain we get here, I don't use vented caps because of a water in the fuel situation. I picked up an automobile fuel system charcoal filter at the Ford recycler and both Diesel fuel tanks on my R120 4X4 were vented through the charcoal filter. I tucked the charcoal filter up as high as I could under the box. The filter was connected the engine air filter.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:15 pm

Just went out and re-measured the tank on the '51. It's 9-1/2" x 9-1/2" x 45" long. There's a 45 degree flat where the filler is welded in, and of course there are the insets/grooves where the tank sits on the running board supports and where the straps hold it in place.

For those who need the measurements...
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:42 am

I have that same locking cap on Rusty.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:04 am

Rhino Linings has some great fuel tank products. Google it yourself and have a good read. I hope our local Rhino shop offers the service. Rhino does much more than truck boxes.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 01, 2014 9:39 am

Yes, I have seen an ad on TV for a Rhino Shield coating for your house guaranteed for 25 years, never paint your house again it said.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 04, 2014 2:42 pm

I was looking into having an AMERICAN company build a replacement tank for the L-R and S trucks. I tried to get someone, on this forum, close to TANKS to drop off one of their tanks because shipping is very restricted. I did call the owner of the tank company and he was up for the challenge. He suggested that he would like to have an original tank for a pattern. This is an opportunity to have a longer, larger capacity tank made with left and right side options. Well, a year or more has gone by and no one has stepped up to the plate, so to speak. I do not live in USA so this has all but eliminated my direct involvement because of the complications of our borders. There is little or no sympathy for our tank situation.
Well, a year or more has gone by and still no volunteer. I have continued to research the tank situation and I have discovered RHINO LINER, the truck bed spray on guys have a military grade tank application that is applied to the outside of a good fuel tank. It is reported that this application has a healing quality which can stop a leak from gun-fire or minor rock penetrations. I have the impression that a tank should be leak free or repaired before the coating is allied.
It might be worth one's while to GOOGLE this information and have a good read. While my situation allows me all the time I need to play with old trucks and cars, I am limited in what I want to spend on a project of this size. I cannot count on very many persons to step up and help out, has been my experience, almost 100%.
If you are able or willing to have a look at the L110 Shorty build that my son and I are well into, you will see how we have installed a 1991 Chevy full size van tank between the frame rails on my son's "L". this install will require a few minor modifications to the frame and some minor fabrication. I would be willing to offer some on-line assistance, by the forum email or PM.
Back to the original tank situation, we are going to repair the OEM IHC tanks that we have and then have the RHINO LINER protection sprayed on. I will be posting what we experienced when that happens. Do not hold your breath while waiting for something to happen here, because it could be as much as a year before the tank thingee happens here.
BTW, that FORD TANK looks like it might work. My failing memory suggests that the original Binder tank is 9.5"X9.5". I will measure later and then EDIT into this posting in red so it will be noticeable.

B72 posted the numbers a few postings back.
Attachments
cut the ears off the rear of the frame.jpg
This is where the frame has to be cut to make the inside straight.
left side view 2.jpg
The box will have to be spaced up about 1.5" to allow the fuel fill to clear the frame. This is not obvious after
FUEL TANK 3.jpg
If the tank is slid farther to the back is can be lower. A rear frame crossmember is needed to keep the frame from twisting. EZ stuff

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:30 am

Wow,,,, this finding a gas tank has become somewhat a huge problem,,, not finding one somewhat close to me (Lincoln, NE),, finding it's about impossible to get a used one shipped,, didn't really want to try and make something fit (being lazy),, but the last major item I need.... Still trying to figure it out....
PreviousNext

Return to Early Fifties Hot Rods