Identifying grilles on KB1-5 & KB6-7

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:41 am

Identifying grilles on KB1-5 & KB6-7

Can someone give me a sure fire way to identify which grill is which when looking at two pictures? If not, measurements that would do it?
Help is appreciated!
Bob

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: Identifying grilles on KB1-5 & KB6-7

a KB1-5 are all the same grill, hood opens from the front, headlights are in fenders, KB6-7, are same, hood opens from sides, headlight on top in front of fenders,

grill bars pieces will not swap out from k1-5 to a K6-7 if that's what you are asking
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks for the info but it doesn't help me identify each one. To clarify, if they were side by side, what differences would I notice? I am trying to identify a grille that someone does not know what it came off of and it is not local. I have the KB1 1947 on my truck but it is bad and I found one that is good but it looks the same but I can't tell if it is larger or has something different from mine.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Have them measure the Stainless strips. Measure yours, or where they would go. The 1-5 will be the same, the 6-7 are longer by ( i think, an inch) The 8 and up are even longer. The Nose badge is bigger on the larger trucks.
Someone may have measurements, hope I helped a bit

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:20 pm

captainbob wrote:Thanks for the info but it doesn't help me identify each one. To clarify, if they were side by side, what differences would I notice? I am trying to identify a grille that someone does not know what it came off of and it is not local. I have the KB1 1947 on my truck but it is bad and I found one that is good but it looks the same but I can't tell if it is larger or has something different from mine.

if what was side by side? a K1 and a K5 or any between? the answer is nothing is different, a 1-5 grill assembly is same, has a hood the opens from the front, so grill assembly is flattish on top with a latch assembly, and a wire terminal bar for headlamps, also the sheet metal flare out on sides with bolt holes for fenders. the parking light assemblies are square.

a K6-7 has no side flares for bolting fenders on, there is no hood latch assembly on top, the parking lights are rectangle.

so, I guess the VERY easiest to tell between a 1-5 and 6-7, is parking lights, small 1-5 trucks square, big 6-7 trucks rectangle,

if this doesn't answer your question, I guess I'm not getting what you are asking,

and best bet is go to photos and look at them,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:37 pm

KB1-5 has grill bars on the grill center and also on either side of the grill (grill bars on the front of the fenders too). KB 6,7 and up do not have "chrome" (stainless steel) bars on the fenders, only on the grill center. KB1-5 has headlights flush mounted in the fenders. KB6 and up has bullet style headlights mounted on a pedestal that stick up from the fenders.

As said before KB1-5 has a one-piece hood that opens from the front and is hinged in the rear as opposed to the larger KB6 and up hoods that are two-piece (on each side) "butterfly" style that are hinged lengthwise down the center and open from each side (somewhat like a ford Model A).

Another way to identify KB grills is that the KB1-5 grill doesn't have a top (the "nose" is the front edge of the hood that rests on top of the grill), it stops at the top edge of the "chrome" bars just above the marker lights and the lower part flares out to join the fenders. KB6 and up grilles do not flare out at the bottom and don't blend in with the fenders. KB6 and up grills also have the front chrome emblem mounted above the marker lights and the grill has a "nose" on top that curves back to meet the butterfly hood.

KB1-5 nose badge is on the hood, KB6 and up the nose badge is mounted to the grill.

KB1-5 grill is flat on top with a hood latch. KB6 and up is rounded on top with a nose badge (or mounting holes for a nose badge).
Cash Disposal Units include; '49 International KBS-7, '46 Willys CJ2A Farm Jeep, '39 Buick sedan, '37 Allis Chalmers WC (other rusty old junk comes & goes without warning).

The two most useful tools you should own are a Crystal Ball and a Magic Wand.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:48 pm

Great information everybody! This is what I needed to identify the grille I found. It is obviously the one I need based on what I learned here. You all came through for me. Now if I could just reach the guy to make a deal.
Thanks Bob

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:22 pm

Is it some one on the site? Perhaps I can help.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:06 am

Hi Lloyd, no it is not someone on this site, but I appreciate you asking.
Bob

Return to K and KB