1946 K5 Ride

Links to U-Tube videos that are IH related.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:50 pm

1946 K5 Ride

Here's a short video of taking a ride in my 1946 K5. Truck is all original, unrestored except for some new paint on the wheels, running boards and re-chromed hubcaps and new tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIKnFQ3mPZU

Redk5guy

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:52 am

Re: 1946 K5 Ride

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:48 am

Very nice,
Sound like a smooth runner. I'd forgotten how much those straight-cut transmission gears whine. Gear shift get a little smoother with more practice- not that I'm any better!

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:09 pm

Pretty darn nice shape for an original K series. I didn't hear you rev it up in neutral to double clutch for the down shift. That takes the grind out of down shifting if you can get it just right.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:41 pm

Yeah, I need to work on that double-clutching. I don't do too bad on the upshifts but the downshifts have to be just right with matching the RPM's to the vehicle speed. Practice, practice, practice. I have heard so many comments from older fellows who used to drive these trucks and they always say that gear whine is what they always remember.

Thanks for the positive comments - I'm 50 years young so you might say I'm the next generation to collect and enjoy these old Binders. I never had to drive a manual transmission without synchronizers until I got this K5.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:04 pm

redk5guy wrote:Yeah, I need to work on that double-clutching. I don't do too bad on the upshifts but the downshifts have to be just right with matching the RPM's to the vehicle speed. Practice, practice, practice. I have heard so many comments from older fellows who used to drive these trucks and they always say that gear whine is what they always remember.

Thanks for the positive comments - I'm 50 years young so you might say I'm the next generation to collect and enjoy these old Binders. I never had to drive a manual transmission without synchronizers until I got this K5.

I learned to drive on an old 46 Ford four speed and it had a very distinctive whine. I don't hear any of that from my IH trucks. The R160 has a lot of wear on it's transmission and will grind a little if I try to shift too fast. The S160 is a lower mileage truck and I think the transmission is pretty solid on that one.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:22 pm

Thanks for posting the video. Very nice truck. I noticed that the interior is green while the exterior is red. This stuck out as my truck ('49 KB2) was painted red by a previous owner. This was a "do it yourself" paint job and I hated it when I first saw it, but I have since grown an appreciation for it. When I was replacing the glove box earlier this year, I found the original paint was still present around the hinge and it was the same green #10 you have in your interior. I wasn't sure how it would look if I restored the interior and brought back the original color, but left the exterior alone. After looking at your truck, I think it would look great.

I am still learning how to downshift myself. 39 years young and never had a reason to do it until now.

Pink

Return to IHC Videos