Which Voltage Regulator?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon May 20, 2019 8:31 am

Which Voltage Regulator?

SD220. 6v positive ground. I did polarize the generator. I've diagnosed my charging problem to the new voltage regulator. I bypassed it and am getting a charge. I bought a new ACDelco C645 and apparently it's not working correctly. The points for the ARM pole do not line up too nicely. Probably only 1/4 of the point is contacting. Not sure if that's the problem but seems to be a quality control issue there. Should this regulator have worked with my setup? The specs say it is 6v. Does positive/negative ground matter as I don't see a spec for that?

My local auto parts can get a Standard Motor VR8. Will this work?

Since I cannot return this part I would like to get confirmation from the guys that know best before I purchase.

Ron

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon May 20, 2019 1:38 pm

Re: Which Voltage Regulator?

I had problems with the regulator on my 1955 R-122 when I got it and after chasing a sticking problem for many months, I purchased a 6 volt negative ground one wire alternator and installed a 1000 cca tractor battery with the large 2 00 cables grounded at the starter!! Starts like a 12 volt, charges at low rpm and I am very pleased. I also run 6 volt halogen headlights!! No starting troubles and bright lights!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon May 20, 2019 2:08 pm

I had "voltage regulator problems" on my D-30 (6 volt positive ground) until I installed a cab to frame ground strap----end of problem!!
Dave

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon May 20, 2019 2:26 pm

Ron wrote:I had problems with the regulator on my 1955 R-122 when I got it and after chasing a sticking problem for many months, I purchased a 6 volt negative ground one wire alternator and installed a 1000 cca tractor battery with the large 2 00 cables grounded at the starter!! Starts like a 12 volt, charges at low rpm and I am very pleased. I also run 6 volt halogen headlights!! No starting troubles and bright lights!

Good to know.

davemcc wrote:I had "voltage regulator problems" on my D-30 (6 volt positive ground) until I installed a cab to frame ground strap----end of problem!!
Dave

Was your voltage regulator housing getting ground before you did this? I ran a ground wire to my VR cap screw and the housing shows ground.

Ron

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon May 20, 2019 4:12 pm

I had a sticking problem in the VR and low charging rate!
When I installed the new alternator, I switched to negative ground!
I do have plenty of ground wires! The alternator charges with an increase in speed and continues to charge unlike thr generator and I have no regulator to malfuntion! Al is well!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Ron wrote:I had a sticking problem in the VR and low charging rate!
When I installed the new alternator, I switched to negative ground!
I do have plenty of ground wires! The alternator charges with an increase in speed and continues to charge unlike thr generator and I have no regulator to malfuntion! Al is well!!

Ahh, yes you do have a regulator to malfunction, it is inside the alternator and harder to get too.
Can't speak to the original poster problem as I can't inspect the regulator in question, but generally speaking the points need to align.
I have found that both of my OEM regulators still work fine after all these years.
There are three "relays" or regulators under the cover, a voltage regulator, a current regulator and a reverse current relay (sometimes call a "Cut-out"). Which one was out of alignment?

Ron

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon May 20, 2019 9:01 pm

Yes I know there is one in the alternator!
It should be more reliable!
Battery cables and grounding with the right size wires make a huge difference!
Truck does not care if it is positive or negative ground!
Just make sure that coil is correct!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Well it depends on your definition of reliable. The originals on my '42 and '48 will have your electronic beat, I doubt it can ever catch up to the near 80 years of the originals still working. If you measure reliability by the fact that there a fewer wires to come loose, than you have a point.
My '48 has the relatively rare 50 amp genny on it. my '42 is set at 35 amps.
IN OTR service, electronic regs fail fairly often, enough so I carry a spare alternator/regulator to swap on, and have done so several times. I've had them fail open (no charge) and closed (goes "full field) and if you don't get stopped quick, it will burn out the rest of the electronics and boil the batteries. It has got so often that I have considered fitting a 50 amp generator in place of the alternator.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 20, 2019 9:41 pm

When purchasing a regulator for a generator it MUST match both the current and voltage rating of the generator as well as the type of field circuit ( So called A or B). If you mis match the current you will either not get the rated output or will overheat and destroy the generator. The Delco you bought is for a 45 amp genny is that what you have?

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am

cornbinder89 wrote:When purchasing a regulator for a generator it MUST match both the current and voltage rating of the generator as well as the type of field circuit ( So called A or B). If you mis match the current you will either not get the rated output or will overheat and destroy the generator. The Delco you bought is for a 45 amp genny is that what you have?

Geez I don't know. How would I tell that?
Next

Return to L, R and S