Which Voltage Regulator?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 21, 2019 1:40 pm

Re: Which Voltage Regulator?

Cornbinder 89, I have a question for you. I have forgotten the answer. Does a regulator have to match the generator.
I have not done anything with a generator in 40 years.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Yes, the generators regulator controls both voltage and current in IHC's. In some mfg and applications, they used a "third brush" system to control the current and in some cases voltage as well. Early Chevys were that way, it is a cheap system and is used when the current need is low and cost is more important then output control.

Alternators are self limiting for current and only need a voltage regulator, so one can fit many different alternators.
To answer the question "how do I know what current generator I have" the best way is to look up the tag number.
If the tag is missing there are a few guide posts to make a estimated guess. If the generator case is all the same diameter all the way back, and the brush "windows" are covered with a sheet metal band AND the case has the field poles held in with a single screw for each shoe, then the generator is a 30-35 amp unit if 6 volt or 25-30 amp if 12 volt. If the case is narrower (smaller in diameter) at the brush end and there is no sheet metal band or access windows for the brushes, then it is 42-46 amp if 6 volt, 35-42 amp if 12 volt.
If the case is large diamenter, has a sheet metal band AND has 2 screws holding the pole shoes on, then it is 50-55 amp for both 6 or 12 volt units.
If the tag is still there but not readable, black tag is 6 volt, red tag is 12 volt, orange tag is 24-32-36 volt

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 21, 2019 6:52 pm

Thank you.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu May 23, 2019 10:17 am

cornbinder89 wrote:Yes, the generators regulator controls both voltage and current in IHC's. In some mfg and applications, they used a "third brush" system to control the current and in some cases voltage as well. Early Chevys were that way, it is a cheap system and is used when the current need is low and cost is more important then output control.

Alternators are self limiting for current and only need a voltage regulator, so one can fit many different alternators.
To answer the question "how do I know what current generator I have" the best way is to look up the tag number.
If the tag is missing there are a few guide posts to make a estimated guess. If the generator case is all the same diameter all the way back, and the brush "windows" are covered with a sheet metal band AND the case has the field poles held in with a single screw for each shoe, then the generator is a 30-35 amp unit if 6 volt or 25-30 amp if 12 volt. If the case is narrower (smaller in diameter) at the brush end and there is no sheet metal band or access windows for the brushes, then it is 42-46 amp if 6 volt, 35-42 amp if 12 volt.
If the case is large diamenter, has a sheet metal band AND has 2 screws holding the pole shoes on, then it is 50-55 amp for both 6 or 12 volt units.
If the tag is still there but not readable, black tag is 6 volt, red tag is 12 volt, orange tag is 24-32-36 volt

The generator did have a black tag but the only thing I saw on it was a symbol that looked like an A and a P attached at the sides. That's the best I can explain it. The case is the same diameter the whole way back. Below is a picture of the brushes end. Does this appear to be a 6v 30-35 amp? If so, is my 45 amp voltage regulator incorrect?

I can provide more pictures if necessary.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu May 23, 2019 10:21 am

cornbinder89 wrote: Which one was out of alignment?

Missed this question first time around. It was the ARM pole. I put a small washer in and got it to line up. Still didn't work.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 23, 2019 4:58 pm

Yeah, looks like a 30 amp unit.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu May 23, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks for helping me figure that out. The Standard Motor VR1 appears to be a 6v 35 amp. Before I spend money on a part I can’t return can you confirm those are the specs I need? You say 30 amp generator but the regulator is 35. Obviously I don’t know anything about these.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 24, 2019 8:27 am

Yes, it can take being set at 35 amps or can be re set, but before you "pull the trigger" on another regulator that can't be returned, you need to find out why the one you have isn't working. A 45 amp regulator will control a 30-35 amp genny but will allow it to produce too much current which will burn it up if run at that rate for long. If the 45 amp unit isn't working, it is likely the 35 amp will not be either, as both are new. It is possible, the one you have now is defective, but not as likely as the wiring between the gen and the regulator is the cause.
Good grounds are just as important as good wires are for the hot side. The regulator is mounted with rubber to shield it from vibration, or at least mine are. That mean there must be a case ground, Originally that was handled by a metal tab on one of the mounting screws to the cab. and relied on the cab to chassie and chassie to engine bonding straps to complete the circuit. If any of thee are poor, it will not work. On the hot side, you need good wires from the genny to the regulator and from the regulator to the ammeter and battery.
You said in your 1st post " I bypassed the regulator and it worked". How and what did you observe that led you to this conclusion?
With the FIELD wire disconnected from the generator and the engine running faster then idle, and the field terminal on the GENERATOR grounded, you should see output on the ammeter, but don't do this for long.
The regulator controls the field ground to regulated both voltage and current, but it can only do that if both the regulator and the generator "see" the same ground. If there is a differential between then engine and body it will effect the regulation.
The only difference between the regulator you have now and the one you are considering is the current setting of the current regulator. So if this regulator is not totally defective, then you have other problems.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 24, 2019 8:40 am

You can read all about how generators work here:
https://oldihc.wordpress.com/2013/01/14 ... generator/
There is one typo however, when talking about how many pole in an alternator, the numbers should have been even, not the odd number I typed, fat fingers and poor proof reading!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri May 24, 2019 2:02 pm

I posted my electrical issue on another site for antique tractors. I got a step by step on testing. First I ran a ground wire from the VR case to the body and confirmed it is grounded. My generator does not have its own ground wire. I thought it was grounded through the VR. So I would assume they see the same ground? Does my generator need its own ground wire? One of the steps said to ground the Field post on the generator (it did NOT say to disconnect the wire so I didn't) and run a jumper between Batt and ARM posts on the VR. When I did this both my ammeter and multimeter (connected to the battery) showed charge. It is all new wiring and I have it per the diagram and instructions.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S