Heat Riser

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 31, 2019 5:59 pm

Heat Riser

Forgive me if I'm calling it the wrong thing but I can't find it in my shop manual. What I am talking about is the flapper valve in the exhaust manifold that is activated by a heat sensitive spring that will direct hot exhaust to the bottom of the intake manifold until the engine warms up. Mine is not working. The valve pivots freely so the spring must have lost its ability to change with temperature. I'm posting this because on past trucks both old Chevy's (dirty word, sorry) and old Binders even with a new spring I have never had much luck getting these *^*&@# things to work.

So first question what is a source for the correct spring and......

I am looking for any and all tips on how to make it work. For the warm weather I could just rig it to stay in the by pass position but am hoping to actually make it work right.

I'll just mention by way of a progress report that I now have the motor running and idling well including having the cooling system working at the right temperature. If all goes well I maybe getting a plate and putting the truck on the road next week. I could not have got to this point without all the help from everybody on this forum. Fingers crossed that the first long shake down cruise will go well.
56 S120 4x4,

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri May 31, 2019 9:27 pm

Re: Heat Riser

Mike, I got my spring from Steiner Tractor Parts for SD240 engine. Original p/n 82958R2, Steiner # IHS3353. I googled the IH # and found more than one tractor parts supplier carrying it.
Do not know what engine you are working with but I am sure many use the same part.
Dennis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Thanks Dennis, My engine is a SD220, the manifolds are the same so that spring should work. BTW Steiner Tractor Parts is a great site, it should be helpful in keeping my old tractor running as well!
56 S120 4x4,

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Hope it all works out for you Mike. I have a few Farmalls I refurbished and used Steiner for quite a few parts. They are very good to work with and prices seem fair. There are others that are good also.
Have fun
Dennis

Return to L, R and S