Rear End Problem ???

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:39 pm

Rear End Problem ???

So I got my truck to run and idle. Figured I'd see if it will shift gears. 4 speed on the floor. I can get it to shift through all gears forward and reverse. The problem is I can put my hands on the tire and stop it dead in its tracks when in gear. The driveshaft continues to turn but I can hold the tire in place. Only the driver side turns. I'm assuming I have an issue in the rear end. ??? Any suggestions on what it is? And no I am not interested in putting an Explorer 8.8 in it unless absolutely necessary. This is a sentimental truck and want to keep it as original as possible.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Rear End Problem ???

So, am I reading this correct? with it in gear, only the drivers side turns, but you can stop it by hand and neither tire turns? If that is the case, than yes you have a proctology problem! Broken axle shaft, bad spider gears etc,

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:23 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:So, am I reading this correct? with it in gear, only the drivers side turns, but you can stop it by hand and neither tire turns? If that is the case, than yes you have a proctology problem! Broken axle shaft, bad spider gears etc,

Well.......it actually doesn't have the wheels/tires on so technically I was holding onto the drum. With that said, I couldn't see the other side of the truck. Only the drivers side was turning but when I held that from moving I couldn't see the other side. Are you saying the other side could potentially start moving when I hold the driver side still? While I'm holding it there are random bumps of "friction" that I can feel but it is not enough that I can't hold it.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:33 pm

ok rookie mistake. I put my phone on video to record the passenger side while I held the driver side. The passenger side does move when I hold the driver side. My bad. End of thread.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:46 pm

See if you can get someone to hold one side while you hold the other. Could have a broken axle shaft on one side and still move. At least that is what I remember with one of my old trucks. Tool a lot to get all the metal out of the housing if I recall correctly. That was 40 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 01, 2019 10:18 am

Nrowles, no worries man, we have all been rookies and we all learn through doing.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Return to L, R and S