1st start in 35 years

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 am

1st start in 35 years

Attempted to start my 1953 R112 for the 1st time in 35 years. I've gone through all fluids, head was rebuilt, carb was rebuilt, new distributor parts. new fuel pump. Truck will not idle on own but will stay running with the slightest amount of gas pedal applied. If I push the pedal more than 50% it bogs horribly and blows a constant mist of fuel out the top of the carb. Even when I pinched the fuel line to starve the carb, it blew the constant mist of fuel until the carb went dry.

1. The heat control valve in the exhaust manifold is letting an extreme amount of air out of it and it is a very loud air noise. Is this normal? At first we thought it was an air intake noise and that's why it wasn't running right but it seems the noise is coming out of the heat control valve and there is A LOT of air/noise when you put your hand next to it.

2. I think the fuel mist out the top of the carb is a valve issue. I was going to pull the valve cover and see if everything looks good under there and check valve adjustments again. Then check timing. Then check compression to each cylinder. Does that seem like a good process to take? I really don't think it is the carb because even when it was starved it was still blowing mist out the top so I don't think it is a flooding issue.

3. The exhaust did blow a bunch of junk out of it from critters but I thought that would all be out. I can drop the exhaust and check for obstructions but I think that should be fine given it has blown some stuff out.

Seems I'm really close. Hoping nothing major like a cam.

Opinions/Thoughts?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 am

Re: 1st start in 35 years

You do know that the "valves" are not adjusted like the newer hydraulics of the 70's, the valves are not adjusted "tight" and they should be adjusted for final when warm. Here is some information if you need it: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9367&p=71296&hilit=adjusting+valves#p71296

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:13 am

Just to be safe I would confirm the dwell using a dwell meter. Also does the truck stay running with just a little bit of choke applied? If so then it is starving for fuel. If the head has been rebuilt you will definitely want to make sure that the valves are adjusted correctly when warm. Did you already test each cylinder for compression? May not be a bad idea to run some Mystery oil in with the oil as it will help loosen things up from sitting.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:23 am

Thanks for reply. I did follow my friend's lead on adjusting the valves. We did use the .018-.020 range but when cold. I did not check them again after it was warm. From what I remember we did each cylinder at tdc on compression stroke. I'm not sure what you mean by the valves not being adjusted "tight", but I can ask my friend on that one. Do you mean the .018-.020 should not be tight and I should be more .022 when cold? Do you think the valves being within range at cold could really be that far off after warmed up that it would run like that?

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:27 am

hattrick4467 wrote:Just to be safe I would confirm the dwell using a dwell meter. Also does the truck stay running with just a little bit of choke applied? If so then it is starving for fuel. If the head has been rebuilt you will definitely want to make sure that the valves are adjusted correctly when warm. Did you already test each cylinder for compression? May not be a bad idea to run some Mystery oil in with the oil as it will help loosen things up from sitting.

I will have to research dwell as I don't even know what that is. It does NOT stay running when choke applied. I can check valves again after warm up. I did not check compression yet. I had bought some seafoam to run through at idle after I could get it to idle but I'm not to that point.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:36 am

Drop the exhaust at the manifold. Your description sounds like the exhaust is plugged. If it can't get out the exhaust, it will come out the intake.
If it runs good with no exhaust attached, you've found your problem.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:51 am

cornbinder89 wrote:Drop the exhaust at the manifold. Your description sounds like the exhaust is plugged. If it can't get out the exhaust, it will come out the intake.
If it runs good with no exhaust attached, you've found your problem.

Will do. This is an easy thing to try first.

Does anybody have any input to the air coming out of the heat control valve in the manifold? Is it normal to be that much and that loud? EDIT: I guess if my exhaust is restricted it would cause more to come out that heat control valve.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:16 am

I am leaning towards plugged up exhaust as well.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:13 am

Easy test and easy fix. The test will either show it is or isn't the problem in a dramatic difference in how it runs.
Nobody does well when they're constipated, engines included! If it can't get the burned stuff out, it can't get a new charge in!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:18 am

Another newbie question just to confirm. I'm simply dropping the exhaust pipe and starting it with an open manifold outlet?
Next

Return to L, R and S