1st start in 35 years

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:50 pm

Re: 1st start in 35 years

You guys never "spiked" a tail pipe back in the day? Potato worked great.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 01, 2019 10:20 am

Lloyd, you beat me to it.

Nrowles, now you know why kids would stuff potatoes in car tailpipes for fun once upon a time. It sounds like you are making good progress, keep up the good work.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 01, 2019 2:02 pm

In 1961, my brother and I bought a 1939 Ford coup for $15. The engine started while the Ford was being towed. We thought the engine was totally seized. Years of wildlife and their habitat was shot out of the tailpipe. I do not know if mice think in human terms, but. I had this image of some mice thinking, "We went to sleep in Carstairs, Alberta, last night and how the heck did we get to Calgary."
Just about every one of the 14 long time in storage Old IHC pickups I bought had rodents in the tailpipe. One of the trucks seat was filled with angry bees and a rat. I bought a really nice L110 short-box for $100. It was running a came with the registration papers. This truck was the victim of an angry wife and a failing marriage. The husband parked the restored truck in the back yard and left the windows open. The floor of the cab had 4 inches of pine needles and a family of racoons behind the seat. The floor fell out when I disturbed it, leaving a clear view of the ground. The seller opened both doors and set a mantle radio in the truck with the volume set on high and the racoons moved out in a few minutes.
I am pleased to know your truck is running. I remember that good feeling.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu May 02, 2019 9:16 am

Thanks for the support fellows.

As far as the water pump, when the radiator is full it is leaking really heavy. Pretty much a stream. I haven't let the truck run long enough yet to see if it is pumping. I'm going to put some exhaust on it Saturday morning. Then put the seafoam in the oil and let it idle for 30 minutes or so while making sure it keeps oil pressure and good water temperature. Check/adjust the valves. Retorque the head bolts. Then change the oil/filter.

With the thermostat being 160 degrees, I would assume if it keeps climbing past 160 the pump needs rebuilt? And if it keeps a good temperature the shaft seal is probably the culprit of the leak? The leak appears to be coming from right under that area. Is the shaft seal a pretty standard thing across many years/models or is it going to be hard to find? Any suggestions / part #?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 02, 2019 9:47 am

http://www.then-now-auto.com/

These guys rebuild water pumps and more, I recently got a rebuild kit to fix my fuel pump. They are real, knowledgeable people who are service oriented, not click it and add it to the cart BS.
56 S120 4x4,

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu May 02, 2019 10:25 am

Binder Mike wrote:http://www.then-now-auto.com/

These guys rebuild water pumps and more, I recently got a rebuild kit to fix my fuel pump. They are real, knowledgeable people who are service oriented, not click it and add it to the cart BS.

Got it. Thanks.
Previous

Return to L, R and S