Throw Out Bearing, Again!

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Throw Out Bearing, Again!

After getting all my clutch components I went to put my transmission back in the truck Saturday but it wouldn't go. I messed around with it several hours and finally I walked away from it tired and disgusted! Today I took a a lot measurements on the transmission, bell housing, pretty much everything I could think of looking for the problem. What I finally found was poor machining on the Mexican made replacement throw out bearing that will not let it sit in the pivot arm the way it is supposed to so it sits too low.

I'm looking for opinions and or help here with this. Do I take it back and hope the replacement is better or take the the new one I have that seems OK otherwise to a machinist and pay even more to get this one corrected. This one came from NAPA.....maybe another source of better quality?
Or some other solution? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Re: Throw Out Bearing, Again!

What is it? The arm or the bearing? What does too high and too low mean?
Napa are a reseller, they do not make parts. Did you specify the least expensive bearing?
Is the original bearing worn out? Can the original be salvaged? Are you able to take the original along to do a comparison?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:55 pm

Have you removed the Fork that disengages the bearing from the shaft for any reason? Reason I ask is I had mine installed backwards initially when I removed it and had clearance issues. A detail I missed. I flipped it and worked fine.
Attachments
IMG_2703.JPG
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:47 am

The bearing was not cheap, at least not price wise. It simply comes down to poor machining on the housing where the fork and the bearing housing interface.I think the problem comes down to third world production values, I've dealt with junk like this from the far east before too. I can post a picture of the old one and new one together the difference is obvious. It took a week to get this POS. In the past NAPA had been my last good source for bearings, maybe not anymore?

The old bearing works fine I just hate to put it back in, my rule of thumb has always been to replace it when I re-do the clutch.
56 S120 4x4,

Return to L, R and S