IH Big 6 wheels?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:39 pm

IH Big 6 wheels?

I picked up a complete 1956 S120 4x4 for almost nothing. Been sitting 20 years. The issue is the wheels are mismatched and all tires are flat and beads broken. It has 6 lug with 7-1/4 spacing. Also has the large center hole for the 4x4. I would like to find a new set of wheels for this truck and be done with it. Anyone out there got a set?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:43 am

Re: IH Big 6 wheels?

I have a set of 5 split ring wheels that have been blasted, primed and painted black that I would sell. 4 of them have new traxion aggressive tread tires. I would sell either just the rims or rims and tires. If interested, please send me a PM. Stickman 207

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:41 am

Scroll down this page they have wheels
https://www.outbackihc.com/custom_parts.php

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:38 am

I did talk to RJ at outback. I cannot remember the price exactly but I think $226 a wheel. He does have another set with tires mounted for $1100 but I did not like the tires. It is still an option but a little pricier than I had hoped. I have a few othef leads I am following now. Just wish I had some options that were closer to me.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:06 am

I have had split ring wheels on several trucks now including my current binder. I no longer shy away from them or worry about changing tires on them using the right precautions. If I was looking I wouldn't rule them out.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks Mike. That is what seems to be more readily available. I actually like the vintage look of them also. Do you change them yourself? In doing some research these are not the same as the widowmaker split rims.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:23 pm

From my time at a tire shop, military and when I was on the farm, I have changed many of these lock ring tires. With the right tools, it is easy to change a tire. The bar to remove the ring, a good "shovel" bead breaker. Just keep the wheels/rings in good shape and do not interchange the rings between rims. CB89 can attest to the "ease" of a tire change if you know how. But it is nice to find a good shop to do it, we are getting older and deserve our retirement! just my 1/5 of a dime.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:49 pm

My S132 has the original split ring wheels. It had new tires when I bought it in 2000, and they lasted a long time until rubber rot got the best of them. A couple of years ago the tread seperated off of one tire and I decided it was time for a new set. I asked around several shops if they would install on a split rim. Everyone said no. My belief is that is it not so much a liability issue (may be part of it) but actually a lack of knowledge. I dont think these young uns know how to do it becasue that skill set has been long replaced by a automatic tire machine.

It's been a while, but I probably looked at a couple of youtube videos and then tackled it myself. The first tire took me about 2 hours, but the time I was on number 6 I had it down to about 20 min. They are not so bad in my opinion. You just have to pay attention to what you are doing, make sure the ring is seated before airing it up, and for gods sake don't stand over the tire when you are airing it up just in case. On these rims, its pretty evident when they are seated corrected as the gap bewteen the ends of the rings is about 3/32", so pretty small. If its not seated, the gap is too big.

I was actually more worried about smashing my fingers as I was putting the ring on or taking it off than anything else.
56 S-120 4x4 started the whole mess.
S-132 dually longbed,
S-120 4x4 Travelall,
S144 Forestry truck,
S160 Holmes tow

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:50 pm

[attachment=0]unnamed (12).jpg[/attachment

Yes I do all my own split ring tire changes starting with this project truck a few years back.
Attachments
unnamed (12).jpg
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:18 pm

lbesq wrote:From my time at a tire shop, military and when I was on the farm, I have changed many of these lock ring tires. With the right tools, it is easy to change a tire. The bar to remove the ring, a good "shovel" bead breaker. Just keep the wheels/rings in good shape and do not interchange the rings between rims. CB89 can attest to the "ease" of a tire change if you know how. But it is nice to find a good shop to do it, we are getting older and deserve our retirement! just my 1/5 of a dime.

I must admit I am moving away from tube types on my semi's. The reason is two fold. 1st the cost of good tube types (Hankook AH11's) are considerably more than the cost of 11R 22.5 tubeless and 2nd the avaiablity of good tubes are hard to find on the road if needed. Short and sweet it means eveything needs to be ordered in, which is not a problem on a hobby truck, but if I loose a tube on the road for some reason, finding a replacemnet is hard. I used to carry a spare tube, but after bouncing around in the truck for a few years, they wern't any good for use in a tire.
I'll be keeping the tube types on my K's, but when I can buy a used rim and new tire in tubeless for less than a tube type tire alone, it just doesn't make sense.
I will not be "ditching" the tube types, but once they have 2 caps on them and have "aged out" of capabilty, I will not be replaceing with new tube type casings. The old run out one will be used as spares or "rollers" (tires to keep a truck or trailer rollable in the yard while the good ones are out being capped)
I have 3 or 4 "virgin" casings to be capped, so I'll be running them for a while yet.
Next

Return to L, R and S