Leaking Water Pump, Options?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Leaking Water Pump, Options?

Today was the big day, I finally got to fire up my used replacement engine in my truck for the first time. :yay: After sorting out an ignition glitch it caught and ran great! So much better than the tired lump that was in there. The only problem and not a big one is the water pump, it leaks a fair amount around the shaft seal. I can replace it with the one off my old motor as that one doesn't leak but I was wondering, can I rebuild the bad one? Are shaft seals still available? Is there anyone out there that rebuilds these? I'm just wondering what my options are?
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:30 pm

Re: Leaking Water Pump, Options?

Places like Then and Now in Weymouth, MA can rebuild yours. I had a buddy make a SS shaft for the BLD waterpump and used a commercial pump seal in it, so that is another option.
Pump seals are what is called a "Face Seal" with two surfaces that rub on each other, with the liquid that is being sealed acting as the lubricant, they can be delicate to install, if you aren't familiar with them, they have to be spring loaded together, they aren't like an oil seal, where rubber rides on the shaft.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:44 pm

Mike---------
I sent you a pm on this, that might help you

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:52 am

If the one on your other engine doesn't leak, why not just put it on and rebuild the leaky one so you have a replacement on down the road.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:32 pm

waltesefalcon wrote:If the one on your other engine doesn't leak, why not just put it on and rebuild the leaky one so you have a replacement on down the road.

That's not a bad idea, who knows how many miles are on the non-leaker!
56 S120 4x4,

Return to L, R and S