Gasket Tips

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Gasket Tips

I replaced the lifter gallery gasket on my SD 220 replacement motor being careful I thought, I didn't over tighten the screws and put a light smear of silicone on both sides and thought I had it correct until today when I changed the oil and as I was filling it I saw oil coming out in several spots at the bottom of cover, #%#&***# :biggrowl: I said and have ordered a new gasket which has set back my first start up of the engine to the middle of next week. I had straightened the cover, I don't know what else to do. Possibly use a high tack sealer and first get it properly aligned on the block and let it set up before installing the cover? Sealing the lifter gallery is a little tricky on six cylinder motors but IH's have always seemed a little more leaky and harder to seal. I welcome any input on this, I really want an oil tight engine.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:17 pm

Re: Gasket Tips

I always use AVIATION FORM A GASKET. https://www.permatex.com/products/gaske ... nt-liquid/
I always stick the gasket to the removable cover, not the block. A very light skin of black oil resistant silicone on the gasket side facing the block. https://www.permatex.com/products/gaske ... t-maker-4/
If a person has to remove the side cover the gasket will come off with the cover and be much easier to remove the gasket from the cover with it off the engine.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:56 am

Binder Mike wrote: I really want an oil tight engine.

Don't get your hopes up, they weren't drip free ever, they shouldn't gush oil but some shafts only use a screw thread to hold the oil in, and a road draft tube will leave a drop or two. Rope seals at the front and rear of the crankshaft may seep some esp if they haven't beed changed is 60 years.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:10 pm

My limited experience with the few IHC engines I have driven is, THEY LEAK.
I built an R120 around an IH 6.9 Diesel. I did everything possible to seal that engine. 10,000 miles later it was leaking and marking it's parking space.
Another total reseal and this time I got about 50,000 miles before the leaking became a problem worse than any SD220. At 225,000 miles, I got an environmental warning ticket from the Police. The "R" had leaked some dark oil onto the interlocking blocks outside the pottery store where my daughter was a customer.
I gave up on that engine and gave the truck away. A friend took the truck into the country and out of sight of the leak-police. The R120 that had been in our family since 1953 was gone and not coming back.
On the off chance anyone reading this wonders, I liked the surprise that came with an open hood at a show and shine. I did not like the lack-luster performance the 6.9.
Attachments
R120 IHC Cummins.jpg
Cummins, nest time
R120 at the ROSETOWN SHOW.jpg
6.9 worn out and in an R120.jpg
after 225,000 miles.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:23 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:
Binder Mike wrote: I really want an oil tight engine.

Don't get your hopes up, they weren't drip free ever, they shouldn't gush oil but some shafts only use a screw thread to hold the oil in, and a road draft tube will leave a drop or two. Rope seals at the front and rear of the crankshaft may seep some esp if they haven't beed changed is 60 years.

Oil tight is a relative term, there's Honda oil tight and there's Toyota oil tight, I'm aiming for IH oil tight. My leaking side gasket isn't even measuring up to that. :lol:
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:15 am

You mentioned having to straighten out the side cover, how did you determine it was good and flat? It may still have a bit of a warp in it somewhere. I would follow Nikki's installation advice when you go to put it back on.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:12 pm

waltesefalcon wrote:You mentioned having to straighten out the side cover, how did you determine it was good and flat? It may still have a bit of a warp in it somewhere. I would follow Nikki's installation advice when you go to put it back on.

Every screw hole was dented in from the screws being over tightened and one corner was curled up a bit. I should have checked it better. This time around I will take a good hard look at it and check it on a flat surface.

Thanks!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:08 pm

I've had good luck with hylomar on rubber valve cover gaskets and on the cork side cover. If you find a shop to bore into the back of the block and rear cap, you could use a one-piece rear main seal. They went to that on the tractors, but apparently didn't think it was important on the truck engines. Then changing it is a matter of pulling the transmission, clutch and flywheel. Much easier than pulling the engine for a rope seal, and works better. The front felt seal can be replaced with a modern lip seal and a speedi-sleeve on the vibration damper/pulley. At that point the engine should be pretty good. But the transmission, rear end, and steering gear box will still mark the spot as "IH Parking".

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:40 pm

I probably should just let this thread quietly die but I need to fess up here. The main problem I discovered today as I redid the gasket was that the gasket was directional and first time around I didn't catch that and put it in upside down. I won't make excuses it was just a bone head move on my part. Today I took more time to get the cover straight as Walt suggested and used the sealers on the surfaces as Nikki mentioned combined with the gasket in the right position and I ended up with an oil tight cover. I mention all this so that it might help someone else in the future, at a quick glance it looks like the gasket can be installed in any direction but as I found out the hard way there is a top and bottom.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:34 pm

International Do NOT Leak,,,,,they just like to mark their spot,,,,,,a lot
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Next

Return to L, R and S