international L 162 turning over slow

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:29 pm

international L 162 turning over slow

It seems like when i turn over the truck it is turning over very slow. I have a brand new optima 6v battery in it. Any thoughts o nthe issue? Thinking maybe a bad ground or bad starter?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:48 am

Re: international L 162 turning over slow

IHC used a ground to the frame, then a braided strap to ground the engine. This ALWAYS causes problems in the long term. It add two high amp connection between the starter and the battery and the strap degrades over time.
Spend the money and run a NEW 00 gauge cable from the starter case (one of the mounting bolts will do, to the "ground side" of the battery ( + for + ground), leave the braided strap in place to carry the 10 amps or so of current to the frame for the lighting load.
Make sure the hot side is also running 00 gauge cable all the way from the battery to the starter. Often these are replaced over the years with whatever the parts store had on the shelf.
6 volts need twice the current and twice the copper to do the same work as 12 volt. It must carry twice the amperage as a 12 volt system.
While working around the starter, add a few drops of oil to the oil cups on the starter, if it has them.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:50 pm

^ I did all of that last fall on CB's recommendation and now my 6 V starter turns over just as quickly as a 12 V, it makes a big difference!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:32 am

CB has the answer for ya.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Return to L, R and S