Throw Out Bearing

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:04 pm

Throw Out Bearing

NAPA Auto has both the whole assembly or just the bearing. My housing looks good so I just want to replace the bearing, it looks like I can just take a drift and knock the old one off. Any recommendations as to how to press the new one on without damaging it? Should I try to pack more grease in the new one or use it as is?
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:38 pm

Re: Throw Out Bearing

Buy the assembly.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:54 pm

$55.00 vs $150.00, I have a tendency to want to go with the lower price if possible. What's the downfall of going the cheap route?
56 S120 4x4,

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:30 pm

possible wear on the assembly. Perhaps not a proper "fit" for the bearing? Yes, I have just replaced the throw out bearing. Got a bad "new" bearing and had to do it all over again. Even though they replaced the bearing because of "defect" I would have been ahead with the time spent in two disassembles and assembly.

Just my thoughts

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:05 pm

You talked me into it. :mrgreen:

My second question was is there enough lube in the bearing from the factory or did you pack a little extra in? I know you have to careful with the grease to not get it on the friction surfaces. The other thing I noticed is the grease fitting actually puts grease behind the bearing not in it, I wonder how effective that is in keeping the bearing lubed?
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:44 pm

My employer discovered that all grease is not the same. One of the no-mind management directives to the mechanics suggested using a grease to hold a component in place during assembly. The grease and the synthetic gear-oil from Schaeffer were not compatible and became a problem when there was a break-down in the lubrication. After this screw-up, the company offered a lubrication course. A team of lubrication engineers, from EXXON put on the two half day class. I did attend both days. Day one was for the no-minds to air their grievances and personal I-have-always-done-it-this-way stories. Day two was for the few of us who were interested in learning something.
Lubrication is not always petroleum based. My best advice would be to leave the sealed bearing as it is.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:22 pm

Point taken!
56 S120 4x4,

Return to L, R and S