Nail Man Strikes Again!

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:41 am

Re: Nail Man Strikes Again!

My Dad sold apples for a nickle also. He and my godfather were running buddy's as boys in Minneapolis in the 1920's and 1930's. Neither one had a father. I grew up on their stories of adventures and survival.

They caught pigeons under the bridges (squab?) and sold them to the butcher shop. They collected any bottle they could find to sell to the bootleggers, rags to the ragman, scrap metal of any kind.

He was frugal to his dying day and he passed some of it on to his offspring. It still gives me a thrill of satisfaction to be able to fix or build something with material I have ratholed over the years without going to town and opening my wallet.

I hate our "use it up and throw it away" lifestyle.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:14 am

Re: Nail Man Strikes Again!

My grandmother never threw out anything she could reuse. I remember her hanging up foil and sandwich bags to dry after washing them between uses. She was very upset when aluminum foil became to too thin to wash without tearing it.

I have a few old coffee cans full of nuts, bolts, nails, etc. In fact I never throw away cans, many wind up as targets, others wind up full of nuts and bolts.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Previous

Return to L, R and S