Rear axle bearing race

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:26 am

Re: Rear axle bearing race

Sorry about your bad luck finds on your truck, so far I think I have been lucky to find expected issues, no ugly surprises . I am learning as I go. I ask a lot stupid questions, and appreciate the encouraging replys, and the club feeling I get from using this forum. I'm with you, my truck will be driven around for awhile with patina on it, and hopefully mechanically sound. I am finding some mistakes on assembly on some repairs. But that makes it more rewarding when I can fix it properly. If my ship ever comes in it will get a frame off restoration. My truck has been handed down from my grandfather to my father to me. I intend to leave it to my grandson.
I remember riding in the truck when I was 3-9 years old. I rode in the cab deer hunting with my dad. I also rode in the bed a few times for 45 minute rides to the lake. I have never driven it, my sister's have. I was 9 years old when it was retired in 1974. I can't hardly wait to drive it, I will spend a wad just getting it driveable, it needs all new glass and rubber on top of everything else. But I enjoy it. Some things are a pita. Beats golf any day in my book.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:42 am

These trucks are solid as all get out. The most expensive thing on my K's I need are tires. The rest can be dealt with as time and money materializes.
One can spend tons of money or one can fix what needs fixing to be safe and enjoy the ride.
Mine are a long way from "done" and will not likely ever get there. I have run to Chicago and back in the dead of winter in my K-7 900 miles and 3 days. It still needs a lot but runs and stops safely.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:53 am

I've owned my L for over twenty years and it is always in a state of being worked on. It's on jack stands right now because I started a brake job, got lazy and quit when the weather started getting less than ideal, it will then get a new wiring harness this spring due to the fact that the seventy year old wiring insulation is crumbling and the wires are corroding. Nothing in it is something I can't handle myself with just a bit of time though and these things are built more solidly than any other brand out there short of Mack Jr. Keep up the good fight Ford, it is just a matter of elbow grease, time, and money, unless you are using it for your daily driver don't fret about getting things done in a timely manner.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:37 pm

Lucky for me I have a lot of patience for certain things, like getting brakes done. I will keep pushing forward til it's roadworthy. I appreciate the encouragement Waltes and 89.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:05 am

I grew up with these old trucks. My dad and granddad were former dealers, and my first ride home from the hospital was in a '52 L-110 [no, I don't remember it]. So I have a soft spot in my heart [and maybe my head] for these old trucks.

The mechanical stuff was simple and straightforward. If your truck has the floor-mounted emergency brake lever, you'll notice the handle resembles the lever system IH used on their manure spreaders, more than the more "automotive" type used on the K-series.

A set of brass drifts and some hooked pry bars will help a lot in dealing with these old trucks:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sxt-9804?seid=srese2&cm_mmc=pla-msn-_-shopping-_-srese2-_-sunex&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brands+|+S&utm_term=4582077271762655&utm_content=GSAPI+5ba29e8f8c24c

And contrary to what some here might tell you, IH at one time was one of the largest manufacturing companies in the world; they simply focused more on their ag line, since that was their bread-and-butter. They made their own bolts simply because it was more cost effective for them than buying bolts from a supplier. At one point, when our garage was dealing with an outfit known as Parts Associates [PAI] out of Cleveland, my dad showed their sales rep where he could buy his bolts from IH at RETAIL cheaper than he could buy [supposedly] wholesale from PAI. [Old IH parts people will remember "CT" pricing on certain items, and most bolts carried CT prices.]

While you're in there, I'd recommend replacing the race. Better to do it ONCE and button it up, than to just replace the bearing cone and then have to go back into it again when it's less convenient.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:12 am

Buzz, great family connection. I also grew up around IHs, my granddad was the shop foreman for the local IH dealer and my dad turned wrenches on them at the same dealer. We always had two or sometimes three binders at the house. I imagine many of us share a familial connection with IH and that is where our interest comes from.
46 K3
52 L110

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Waltes and Buzz, both great family connections. The old "cornbinder" was the only truck that didn't come and go. It had sentimental value to my dad, and now me.
My grandfather drove for 4 years before his passing, then my dad drove 20 years before retiring it in our back yard. This was a tough truck, one of my sister's backed through a building and it dented the top tailgate tube. Dad straitened it perfectly.
By the way my new bearings and races arrived today.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:08 pm

By the way my new bearings and races arrived today.

I replaced with a complete set as well.
Good sage advice can always be found here.

My old truck, aka Harvey was our family business truck. It adds a special connection for sure.
Got a picture somewhere with the business name and Dad standing with our dogs next to it.
I need to dig that up and frame it for the office. :)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:43 pm

Great personal connection Harvey, I have seen a photo years ago my mother has that needs to be found. The photo is of my little brother and I sitting on the front bumper with our dad, my brother and I were like 3 & 4 years old, the old truck was sparkling in the sunlight, it was a black and white photo. It has to be found and framed as my bother and father are both deceased. So it has more sentimental value now than ever.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:20 am

Ford, these old binders are robust. I remember my dad buying them in the early 80s for a couple of hundred from tradesmen all the time. One plumber I remember clearly selling my dad his 64 1200 and as he sold it saying it was the best work truck he had ever owned but as he was getting older he appreciated A/C and an automatic so he had bought a new Ford.
46 K3
52 L110
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S