Rear axle bearing race

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Rear axle bearing race

I just got the axle (one side) out of the housing with a puller I made. The bearing will be replaced, it looks rough, pitted rollers. The race looks perfect. Should I replace it regardless, or would it be an unnecessary purchase however small it is. I would like to reuse it as it has "international" stamped in it. I realize it will be hidden, but the fact that it is an original part, is worthy of consideration.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Re: Rear axle bearing race

In my opinion, a new bearing should always run on a new race.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:18 pm

No argument here, I'll polish it up and offer it to my wife as a bracelet !

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:19 pm

My 2 cents,

A new bearing should always be used with a new race.....

except when, the race looks good, and you might damage things taking it out. As I get wiser, I mean older, I have learned sometimes it is best to leave well enough alone. It is a judgement call.

I have also learned that on my old binders not everything has to be perfect, which is hard for me to do at times.
Plus I have learned to put things in perspective. I love my trucks. I use them and enjoy them. But, they probably get less than 1000 miles per year on them when they are operational year round. I really want a synchronized transmission in my S132, but put the T-9 back in because of the amount of work it would take to install a T-98. I told myself I would replace it when it fails. That was 18 years ago, still going strong.

Fix it and drive it, enjoy the hobby.
56 S-120 4x4 started the whole mess.
S-132 dually longbed,
S-120 4x4 Travelall,
S144 Forestry truck,
S160 Holmes tow

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 pm

My take is if they needed to be a mated pair, they would be sold as a pair. Having said that, I find it unlikely a bearing with damaged rollers would not damage the race. I have mixed and matched used bearings and never had a failure, but that is after careful inspection 1st. The whole idea is the rollers and races are hard enough not to develop wear patterns and if they have, have worn to the point they need to be replaced. Most wheel end bearings are not highly loaded. Pinion bearing are an exception, They are highly loaded in multiple directions and a big job to replace, if you are in that far replace both together.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:25 pm

This started out as a brake job, has expander into unfamiliar territory. There was evidence of seal leak , so that lead to bearings, not really wanting to dig any deeper. I still have to go trough cooling and fuel systems, etc. I want to drive and enjoy before complete restore.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:38 pm

This is what you should expect from a nearly 70 year old POS. Your options are, fix it, sell it or drive it as is and risk doing more damage.
I have driven and fixed these old Binders for decades. There is not free pass. Lots of luck finding the parts.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:50 pm

This is what you should expect from a nearly 70 year old POS. Nothing on these old blisters gets better with age.
My 1953 R120 was totally redone with modern axles, disc brakes and engine/trans. I spent nearly $30,000 on my "R" in 1991. This was not the end of it. The maintenance on the "R" never stopped, for me, until I gave it away. What you are doing now is fixing the previous owners neglect.
Your options are, fix it, sell it or drive it as is and risk doing more damage.
I have driven and fixed these old Binders for decades. There is no free pass. Lots of luck finding the parts.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks for sharing that. Every reply I've had from you sir has a negative vibe.
A lot of the things I am fixing are due to trying revive a relic from the past that has not been recycled into tin cans, not necessarily neglect from previous owner. The elements and ages take a toll on anything mechanical. The fact that it exsits and I own it , gives me satisfaction. To you it may be a POS, thats fine, I like to think of it as a rolling piece of mechanical history, which has value.
If parts become scarce there are options, I respect your experience with these trucks and your experience will not necessarily be what I experience. I'm sure every truck has deteriorated to varying degrees, not all are a "POS". I just had to get this off my chest. Ok, I feel better now.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:37 am

fordtrimotor wrote:Thanks for sharing that. Every reply I've had from you sir has a negative vibe.
A lot of the things I am fixing are due to trying revive a relic from the past that has not been recycled into tin cans, not necessarily neglect from previous owner. The elements and ages take a toll on anything mechanical. The fact that it exsits and I own it , gives me satisfaction. To you it may be a POS, thats fine, I like to think of it as a rolling piece of mechanical history, which has value.
If parts become scarce there are options, I respect your experience with these trucks and your experience will not necessarily be what I experience. I'm sure every truck has deteriorated to varying degrees, not all are a "POS". I just had to get this off my chest. Ok, I feel better now.

I'm in the same boat you are, I started a brake job this week that has turned into having to replace trunnion bearings and other 4wd axle parts on my S truck plus now I'm finding cracks in the front sub frame in the radiator support and and grill support,and I'm having to repair where the drive axle interfaces with the leaf spring, all this that started as a brake job! All part of the fun the way I see it. There will be more I'm sure as I address other areas of the truck.

Mine will never be a 100 point restoration, instead it will be a rustoration with basically sound mechanical's, new glass and some clear coat over the 60 some years of patina on the body. Not everybody's cup of tea but that's the way I like old trucks and the budget won't break the bank. Just take it a step at a time with yours and it will all come together. It seems like one way or another the parts you need always turn up. This is my second old Binder that I brought back from the dead and had the first one been a bad experience I wouldn't be doing the one I have now. With a little luck mine will be on the road come late spring. Getting an old International up and running is a bit more challenging than a Chevy or Ford but well worth the effort and the time spent working on it keeps me out of the pool hall. :mrgreen:
56 S120 4x4,
Next

Return to L, R and S