power steer

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:23 pm

power steer

After checking oldiron53's post in July 2018, I noticed he is going with a manual steering box. I am going to go with a Toyota power steering box. I was going to go with the dodge, chev, ford and jeep box because they are available in standard and reverse rotation. I like the Toyota box option.
People have been doing this for years.
I am NOT going with a CROSS STEER, all though it is a better way to go. These Toyota boxes work good on full size trucks, but mine is a 4X4, we will see.
What do you guys think??
Attachments
toyotatoyota.jpg
toyotatoyota.jpg (17.44 KiB) Viewed 2636 times

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:11 pm

Re: power steer

Seeing as I have the same truck I will follow this conversion with a lot of interest. I can't offer and educated opinion on it but I have heard of others that have used a Toyota steering box for different projects. Please keep us informed. One question I have is do you have an IH inline six in the truck and would you have to adapt a power steering pump to that?
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:57 am

Don on the site has 2 S series trucks with power assist steering, he has done a great job. It has to warm up before any work is done. Pretty cold here in Mn. I do have a BD240.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4755&hilit=power+assist

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:56 pm

only caution I have with updating steering boxes is make sure it is in same location to axle as original,,,,,

I had a K-3 that someone torched in a Pontiac steering box when they put in a Pontiac 400 motor,

problem was a K steering box sat behind the axle, the Pontiac one sat in front of the axle, or it was cross linked not sure,,, but when they turned the wheel left the tires went right,,,,,,,

it was "fixed" by a weird chain driven reversing box mounted under the dash, you could look at it change rotation of the column as it went thru it,

it was very sloppy to say the least, That was one truck I didn't feel bad about getting rid of
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:08 pm

:lol:
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Return to L, R and S