Ooops! Spark Plug Wires Location?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:34 pm

Ooops! Spark Plug Wires Location?

When I pulled my plug wires I wrote down the locations. After that I mistakenly threw that piece of paper out. Can someone tell me the plug wire locations on the SD220 distributor?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:49 pm

Re: Ooops! Spark Plug Wires Location?

Yeah, one end goes on the spark plug, the other to the distributor, Sorry, but you asked!
You need to bring #1 up on compression and look where the rotor on the distributor is pointing, match that up with the nearest tower on the cap, then follow the fireing order in connecting the other wires.
You can never assume that how it is pictured or how someone elses is, will be how yours will be. Since each tower is equidistant from the next, it doesn't matter where the wires are as long as they are in the correct order and the fire at the correct cyl at the right time. This means it will work equally well in 6 different positions as long as the rotor is timed to the engine.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:46 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:Yeah, one end goes on the spark plug, the other to the distributor, Sorry, but you asked!
You need to bring #1 up on compression and look where the rotor on the distributor is pointing, match that up with the nearest tower on the cap, then follow the fireing order in connecting the other wires.
You can never assume that how it is pictured or how someone elses is, will be how yours will be. Since each tower is equidistant from the next, it doesn't matter where the wires are as long as they are in the correct order and the fire at the correct cyl at the right time. This means it will work equally well in 6 different positions as long as the rotor is timed to the engine.

ok thanks. Just to confirm, the cylinders are in order 1 through 6 from front to rear and the distributor order will be in a counter clockwise direction from #1, correct?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:49 pm

The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. Number 1 is at the front.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:42 pm

Some brands have the the number one terminal marked on the dist. cap for those that don't I make a neat little mark by the number one terminal with something sharp and from then on I have a quick reference mark and the firing order stamped on the motor to help me get things back together. It might help you in the future to do the same.
56 S120 4x4,

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:07 am

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I'm still not 100% sure what "number" each cylinder is. It is already mentioned that the front cylinder is #1. Are #2 through #6 in order from front to back? So starting at front, 1,2,3,4,5,6? I understand finding #1 on the distributor and how to do it and then following the firing order counter clockwise, but I'm not positive on which cylinder to run the wire to.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:58 am

Most inlines are numbered front to back, 1 in front, 6 in back. SOME European engines are numbered 1 at the flywheel and forward from there. Since we are talking IHC, 1 in front and 6 in back by the flywheel.
I always check which way the distributor turns as I am bring #1 up on compression, it saves making a dumb mistake (not that I made that mistake... that I'm willing to admit!)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Some auto tech schools used to help students remember the six cylinder firing order 153624 by saying it's the best age for a girlfriend, 15 is to young, 36 is too old and 24 is just right.

For an old guy like me if I was still single 36 would be looking pretty good about now. :mrgreen:
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Add it up and you get 75.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:12 pm

depending on your top-dead-center, number one, I think this is close
Attachments
PLUG WIRES0002.jpg
distibutor

Return to L, R and S