Door county green

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:42 am

Door county green

Does anyone know of a powder coat paint that will very closely match door county green. I have picked up a color sample pack from the local powder coat shop, and the closest match is several shades off of the buffed out area on my 50 l110. I want to powder coat the rims as close to door county green as possible. The original color was black, but I like the look of matching wheels and paint, even though I am sporting heavy patina. I need the name of the supplier and the code.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Re: Door county green

I am retired, now. My employer used to have components power coated. In 100% of the cases the powder coating failed where it was exposed to harsh road conditions. It was not the coating that failed, but the lack of proper preparation before the parts were coated. Powder coating is not paint. It is microscopic particles of plastic powder that adheres to a surface by electrostatic attraction. https://www.quora.com/What-is-electrostatic-attraction
When these plastic particles are heated, they melt together and form a sealed surface coating, not unlike a plastic bag.
If the surface preparation is not done correctly and if any oxidation is left in any pitting the plastic coating will fail as the hidden oxidation will continue and eventually lift the coating. My experience with powder coating was a fail because of poor preparation. The other part of the failure may have been failing to protect the coating from road-rash damage. When the coating was damaged, contaminated road water, aka electrolyte, was allowed to get behind the coating where it became trapped. The damage from corrosion was much faster. 5/15" plate that held a bunch of hydraulics failed in under three years.
I have used powder coat primer on zinc cast parts so I could get real paint to stick. I have the coating shop heat cycle my parts 5-6 times before applying the coating. This was to promote the maximum off-gassing of the zinc and other possible metals in the castings.
If this "experiment" had failed the cost for the new parts, powder coating and paint was about $1700. So far, so good.
Attachments
Powder primer under paint grill.jpg
paint over powder primer, bezel and grill
grill assembled 1.jpg
grill paint over powder primer
Powder Paint FAIL.jpg
This is what failed powder coating looks like. Bad prep, 100%
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:20 pm

RUSTOLEUM have a nice green I think might be close to what you describe. If you cannot get an exact match, something close will look like a fail. I think it is better to get a complimenting colour, also in a green. I like the look, but, you may not.
If all else fails, IHC did have red wheels.
Attachments
BBS ON THE WELD POSITIONER.jpg
Red wheels
HOEFER CAMELBACK.jpg
STERLING MOTOR HOUSING.jpg
green two tone on a Sterling grinder.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:22 am

I am somewhat familiar with powdercoat, as I worked in a shop that coated a majority of its products, and my father inlaw had a similar business. That was was 20 years ago, he powder coated some trailer wheels on a utility trailer that I now own. The wheels were clear coated over silver. The clear coat peeled but the silver underneath looks good. Prep is important and I found a local shop that is aware of the necessary prep. He said he coats items for customers that prep it themselves, but won't guarantee it if he doesn't do the prep. He also does auto painting so maybe that would be a better way to go.

Return to L, R and S