My new R180

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:33 pm

Re: My new R180

Why? it should never be an issue, every diesel out there is governed, medium and heavy gas it just makes sense. Its not a road speed limiter but an engine speed limiter, why would you want to overspeed an engine?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:35 pm

Binder Mike wrote:This is just me but if it were my truck and I was the only one that would be driving it the first thing I'd do is get rid of the governor.

Well. I do worry about it being a vacuum leak. Also the fact that theres a piece missing....did that end up in the engine? Yikes. Anyhow, since I dont have the right studs to mount the carb without it, for now it stays.
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:49 am

cornbinder89 wrote:Why? it should never be an issue, every diesel out there is governed, medium and heavy gas it just makes sense. Its not a road speed limiter but an engine speed limiter, why would you want to overspeed an engine?

I am aware that it is an issue of engine speed and not road speed. Every truck I own has a tachometer in it so that should tell you a little about my concern for engine speed. In my case my right foot is my governor. Most engines reach maximum torque well before redline and that sweet spot is where the power and engine efficiency can be found any further engine speed gains little and risks damage. I only say this to give you my view, I am a shade tree mechanic at best you are the professional. I am looking at this from the perspective of a vehicle owner who cares about his machinery and is able to operate it within it's parameters and not need some nanny device to do it for him. I know a lot of equipment is used everyday by people with no money invested in it or understanding of it and a governor is surely needed in those situations. That is why I said I would remove it if it were mine and no one else was to be driving it
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:18 am

Since not all have a tach, and since it never comes into play until you exceed the redline, why remove it? If his is inop, then I can see not wanting to replace it, which would be fine, but removing something that you claim you'll never come close to activating, the question remains why? It is there to prevent engine damage.
Its like my heavy trucks, they have a gauge, a buzzer and a warning light for both oil pressure and coolant temp. Yeah one is sufficient, but if I am working it, climbing a hill there are many things to watch and the extra alarms aren't hurting anything and can help. Add to that, if/when one malfunctions I have two others to compare it too.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:24 am

wndsofchng06 wrote:
Binder Mike wrote:This is just me but if it were my truck and I was the only one that would be driving it the first thing I'd do is get rid of the governor.

Well. I do worry about it being a vacuum leak. Also the fact that theres a piece missing....did that end up in the engine? Yikes. Anyhow, since I dont have the right studs to mount the carb without it, for now it stays.

Most likely sone one removed it in an attemt to defeat the governor. Unless they tied the throttle open in governor as well it will likely shut down way early. That passage is not sealed from the intake stream when that piece is there, so removing it shouldn't cause a vacuum leak, unless they removed other parts behind it.
When they come from the factoy, they have thin nuts holding the carb on, not the normal/tall nuts, so likely those are stock studs. Also if you chose to remove it, you may need a spacer between the carb and manifold for clearance.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:29 am

For now I cleaned all the gasket surfaces and reassembled nice and tight. Will do some tuning next weekend.
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:50 am

cornbinder89 wrote:Since not all have a tach, and since it never comes into play until you exceed the redline, why remove it? If his is inop, then I can see not wanting to replace it, which would be fine, but removing something that you claim you'll never come close to activating, the question remains why? It is there to prevent engine damage.
Its like my heavy trucks, they have a gauge, a buzzer and a warning light for both oil pressure and coolant temp. Yeah one is sufficient, but if I am working it, climbing a hill there are many things to watch and the extra alarms aren't hurting anything and can help. Add to that, if/when one malfunctions I have two others to compare it too.

That was my point, Winds governor is inoperative. If it was giving him no trouble then I wouldn't have mentioned removing it or if I felt he was not up to using the truck without one. My apologies for not coming across better on that particular detail. I am a person who goes by "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but if it is a troublesome secondary system that is broken and that the truck and I can live without it then I'll make it go away. Things like eliminating a knock sensor on a modern vehicle to make the check engine light go out would not be one of them.I try to do these things with a certain amount of reason.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:57 am

Anyone have a good suggestion on where to find a seal for the PTO input shaft
Last edited by wndsofchng06 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:02 am

From your description, I'm not sure what part you're looking for. By deal do you meal a part or a good price on a part?

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:09 am

dean466 wrote:From your description, I'm not sure what part you're looking for. By deal do you meal a part or a good price on a part?

Dean

Fixed my error... seal. I need a seal for the PTO input on the hydraulic pump.
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S