My new R180

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:59 pm

Re: My new R180

cornbinder89 wrote:Thing under the carb is the governor. There is a phenolic spacer between it and the carb that helps isolate the engine heat from making it to the carb.
High idle with closed throttle, may be vacuum leak, or the throttle plate may no be centered in the bore preventing it from closing all the way.
1st check that the throttle linkage is not holding the throttle open.
If the fuel pump is pushing too much gas past the needle and seat, it would flood and the idle would be low.

Thanks! Never seen a governor. How does it work?

Yea the throttle linkage is good, not holding it open... I'll check the plate. I see a LOT of fuel going in the carb over the throttle plate.
I'll get out my starter fluid and check for vacuum leaks....
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:23 pm

Vacuum from the carb goes to the governor control mounted under the distributor bowl on the side, and back to the governor. There should be steel lines running to and from the distributor to the carb/governor It is basically another throttle that closes even if the carb's is wide open. When governed speed is reached a combination of venturi and manifold vacuum work apon the vacuum diaphragm of the governor pulling it closed.
You could have too much gas getting into the intake, but unless there is a extra air, it will just flood, not run fast. For that to happen, it needs gas and air.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:47 pm

I was thinking you have a governor like the one in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6498&hilit=governor
The reason is the vacuum line that runs around the front of the engine by the water pump. I had a 282 with that set-up. However the part under the carb looks different than the one I had, and I wonder if the original was replaced with a simpler velocity type governor, which just works off how fast the air flow thru is moving.
I have tried to see if you had any pictures of the distributor, to see if it had the box mounted to the side (it is gear driven off the dist shaft). I don't see it but as I say no good picture.
The Vacuum type governor is a more exact speed regulating device then the velocity governor. In fact IHC used it to hold the speed constant for a generator that mounted in the bed of a pick-up (see above link).

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:08 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:I was thinking you have a governor like the one in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6498&hilit=governor
The reason is the vacuum line that runs around the front of the engine by the water pump. I had a 282 with that set-up. However the part under the carb looks different than the one I had, and I wonder if the original was replaced with a simpler velocity type governor, which just works off how fast the air flow thru is moving.
I have tried to see if you had any pictures of the distributor, to see if it had the box mounted to the side (it is gear driven off the dist shaft). I don't see it but as I say no good picture.
The Vacuum type governor is a more exact speed regulating device then the velocity governor. In fact IHC used it to hold the speed constant for a generator that mounted in the bed of a pick-up (see above link).
nothing coming off the distributor and nothing hooked to the governor tube coming around the front of the engine comes off the side of the crankcase and mounts over into the manifold and connects to the vacuum that goes to the brakes
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:48 am

Ok, then the tube goes to the PCV valve. That makes the governor a "velocity" type, and it will have no external tubes or connections. It works by a throttle plate that is spring loaded open but the shaft is off center, the larger portion of the plate is faceing up, as the air flow increases it tends to force the plate closed, limiting the engine speed. They are adjustable but hard to do without a dyno to run it on.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:00 am

cornbinder89 wrote:Ok, then the tube goes to the PCV valve. That makes the governor a "velocity" type, and it will have no external tubes or connections. It works by a throttle plate that is spring loaded open but the shaft is off center, the larger portion of the plate is faceing up, as the air flow increases it tends to force the plate closed, limiting the engine speed. They are adjustable but hard to do without a dyno to run it on.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Is it necessary? The nuts are barely holding on to the carb, the studs are a little short I guess. I assumed its there since there is a throttle pull Cable in the cab to throttle up the engine while using the dump bed?
Here it is idling...
https://youtu.be/u4HrwJ-eClM
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:29 am

No, the governor is there only to prevent engine overspeed. On trucks that size and bigger, it is assumed that the operator will be an employee, and may not care or know the max safe engine speed. The engines are governed to prevent running them too fast. All of the engines of that size and larger have long stroke and lots of rotating mass, easy to do a lot of damage by overspeeding.
The velocity governor is the least precise and the engine will still overspeed if run with no load. Vacuum or mechanical governors will hold a max set speed regardless of load. Only the mechanical governor may be variable speed, and used for PTO operations, the other two types are fixed speed, ment to prevent the engine turning faster then their set RPM.
On the link to the "electrall" set-up the gov was only used when the PTO was running, all other times the engine was controlled by the carb throttle. When the PTO was turning, the vacuum control was on the generator, and it was set to control generator speed. When the PTO was not turning the vacuum control saw no RPM so the governor stayed wide open.

On your truck you could remove it, but I would leave it be. It shouldn't cause a problem and is a good safety from overspeeding.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:04 pm

Is it missing a piece?
20190203_145957-720x1280.jpg

Also this happened today, there is a minor leak around the PTO shaft....
https://youtu.be/9UFVm3dY9fA
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:11 pm

I would guess yes, but I have never been close to one of those. All the trucks I've been around use the centri-vac governor.
If you get the truck on the road, and it looses power on acceleration I would suspect the governor. I think someone my have tried to defeat it, but I would guess, since it uses spring pressure to counteract the pressure from the throttle plates, removing the link would make the governor close early!
If I get some time I'll see if I can find any info on that type governor.
Here is a replacement for what you have, and in the pic's you can see an arm or lever connecting to the throttle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOOF-REPLACEME ... 2204567733

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:22 pm

This is just me but if it were my truck and I was the only one that would be driving it the first thing I'd do is get rid of the governor.
56 S120 4x4,
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S