Rocker Assembly & Push Rods Interchangeable?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:27 pm

Rocker Assembly & Push Rods Interchangeable?

Are rocker assembly and push rods interchangeable from SD220 to BD220? I'm looking to buy and someone's looking to sell. We want to be 100% sure first.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:48 pm

Re: Rocker Assembly & Push Rods Interchangeable?

Information from the R parts manual SD and the S parts manual BD and the MT-86 manual say the part numbers are the same. On 1 of my BD 240 motors the rocker arm have a different part number, but are the same ratio-1.6.
INFO ONLY

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:12 pm

is the BD a tilt valve or straight valve like the SD, Don't know if tilt and straight use same parts, but that would be only difference I could see,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:46 pm

I believe it came out of a 1950 metro so it should be an early BD with straight valves correct? I inquired so hopefully he knows for sure.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:52 pm

If it came out of a 1950, it would have to be a SD engine. So figure someone along the way replaced the engine if it's a BD. The rocker arms are different between the straight valve and tilt valve, with tilt valve rocker arms being noticeably longer on the valve side. I believe the shafts are interchangeable, but can't tell you whether the pedestals are.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:44 am

Part Numbers for Straight Valve only
SD & BD rocker arm 76961R91---91121R92
SD & BD push rod 69733R11

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:09 am

The top is a 91121 R92 from a straight valve engine. The bottom is a 184432 R91 from a tilt valve engine.

P1060824.JPG

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:22 pm

We compared rocker arms and his are the same as mine. Just a little background info on why I needed it is because I had a bent push rod. Ordered new push rods from Rock Auto. They sent me the part number they had on their website but in the end I found out their push rods are 1/2" longer than mine. They must have them incorrectly tied to the SD220. So the major problem is that I didn't think to check the length and when I put the head back on and started turning the crank with a bar it bent the push rod and cracked a rocker arm. I was not happy. Now I'm getting an entire rocker assembly and 12 push rods so I will have some spare parts.

Don't buy push rods for the SD220 on Rock Auto or if you do make sure you measure them before installing.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Back in the day of paper catalogs, Mfg also put out a "buyers guide" that would have all the spec's and pictures.
Most don't know you can buy piston rings by diameter and shape, if you have the buyers guide. same with valves.
I don't know why it is, but with everything being digitized, makeing a .pdf of the buyers guide would seam to be a "no brainer" but no one does.
Application catalogs have to be updated yearly, but they seam to put them out in paper format, a buyers guide would only need to be update when new parts are added to the line up. Seams we have lost the most valuable information with the loss of the buyers guide.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:27 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:Back in the day of paper catalogs, Mfg also put out a "buyers guide" that would have all the spec's and pictures.
Most don't know you can buy piston rings by diameter and shape, if you have the buyers guide. same with valves.
I don't know why it is, but with everything being digitized, makeing a .pdf of the buyers guide would seam to be a "no brainer" but no one does.
Application catalogs have to be updated yearly, but they seam to put them out in paper format, a buyers guide would only need to be update when new parts are added to the line up. Seams we have lost the most valuable information with the loss of the buyers guide.

When I had my 37 Diamond T, I got piston rings from Weaver Rings in WA. state, he sold me rings by size and shape no specific to the Hercules QXB-3 ,

his instructions were to measure bore half way down, end file rings to fit proper clearance at the point, same with valves, guy sold me valve by head a stem size/length.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Next

Return to L, R and S