57 S100 BD240 frame, engine color

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:58 pm

57 S100 BD240 frame, engine color

Hi gents ...my first post. I’m currently doing a full frame off restore on my 1957 S100 Canadian truck it has the BD240 which is currently being rebuilt. I have the truck all stripped down and getting ready to start painting the chassis ...so I have searched through all the paint committee decisions from 54-58 trying to find a hint on the colour plus been thru multiple sites etc too with no luck.
I know the engine was black and the chassis was too but what black did they use ? Black canyon black or ??? And what would the sheen have been flat, gloss, satin???? After cleaning up the steering column it looks to be a gloss but was the engine and chassis ?
My goal here is to be as accurate as possible bringing it back to original condition. Hence the obsession with getting it bang on.
Much appreciate any help you can give this nube
Cheers
1957 S100 BD240 - delivered Feb 28 1957 - 100 Mile House Garage Ltd.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:33 pm

Re: 57 S100 BD240 frame, engine color

Just f'n black. The cheapest possible is what IH would use.

Tremclad or Rustoleum are good choices. These paints apply easily and scratches are easy to repair. Both of these paints are available in liters and "gallons" 3.78 liter" cans. My best guess is Old IHC used a paint with less gloss. We will be using a semi-gloss. Do not waste you money of power coatings. If you think you want to spend more money and have little advantage for the "bucks" PPG make a great catalysed etching primer that can be tinted. I have used PPG DP 40, in the past.
I often say, "You will be the only person to know the difference and what you think may be OEM correct. Paint may not have been a priority with Old IHC. I have owned 14 of these trucks. Some of these trucks never had paint between the cab and the box. OEM frame paint was not a priority, I am guessing.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:17 pm

100Mile57 wrote:Hi gents ...my first post. I’m currently doing a full frame off restore on my 1957 S100 Canadian truck it has the BD240 which is currently being rebuilt. I have the truck all stripped down and getting ready to start painting the chassis ...so I have searched through all the paint committee decisions from 54-58 trying to find a hint on the colour plus been thru multiple sites etc too with no luck.
I know the engine was black and the chassis was too but what black did they use ? Black canyon black or ??? And what would the sheen have been flat, gloss, satin???? After cleaning up the steering column it looks to be a gloss but was the engine and chassis ?
My goal here is to be as accurate as possible bringing it back to original condition. Hence the obsession with getting it bang on.
Much appreciate any help you can give this nube
Cheers

Dont call yourself a "NUBE" If you know anything, you are likely ahead of 50% of the "experts" on this and other forums.
These trucks are simple vehicles and do not require a rocket sugery level of smarts to get along with your truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:54 am

POR-15 isn't cheap, but they recommend it for frames. And guess what? after using it, they also suggest you paint over it.

When I worked for TOWER Automotive in 2000-2005, we were in the process of converting from a hot-wax coating on the frames to an electrostatic "E-coat" process. With the wax coating, some rubber frame bushings were installed AFTER the wax coating, but before the frames were shipped to Ford.

I'm guessing that other than red or black paint, the wax coating MAY have been used back in the '50's.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:35 pm

Yes love these old trucks it’s the simplicity that attracted me to starting this project... steep learning curve on just finding out where to get info...and discovering the lack there of

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:42 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Just f'n black. The cheapest possible is what IH would use.

Tremclad or Rustoleum are good choices. These paints apply easily and scratches are easy to repair. Both of these paints are available in liters and "gallons" 3.78 liter" cans. My best guess is Old IHC used a paint with less gloss. We will be using a semi-gloss. Do not waste you money of power coatings. If you think you want to spend more money and have little advantage for the "bucks" PPG make a great catalysed etching primer that can be tinted. I have used PPG DP 40, in the past.
I often say, "You will be the only person to know the difference and what you think may be OEM correct. Paint may not have been a priority with Old IHC. I have owned 14 of these trucks. Some of these trucks never had paint between the cab and the box. OEM frame paint was not a priority, I am guessing.

Thanks for the advice !...you are confirming my thinking that no one really knows anyhow. I just would wanna die if after it’s done someone who know these machines told me I used the wrong color and sheen :t1812: do it right , do it once is kinda my mantra :D

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:19 pm

Quote: I just would wanna die if after it’s done someone who know these machines

The only person I know who might know the difference is Bernie of Chapter 38 IHC Collectors. If you Google IHC truck colours you should find a pallet of terrible colours. It should not be a surprise that IHC formed committees to select these colours. This should give you some colour numbers to reference from.
Stop over-thinking this. BTW. You cannot use, "simplicity that attracted me to starting this project... steep learning curve" in the same sentence. LOL.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:36 am

"I just would wanna die if after it’s done someone who know these machines told me I used the wrong color and sheen"

If no one on here knows then my guess is that no one knows. Except for maybe Bernie.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks guys for the input ! I will take your advice and stop over thinking this. Cheers

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Do you know KRANKY'S GARAGE IN 100 mile?
Next

Return to L, R and S