rewiring R150

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:14 pm

rewiring R150

Good morning,
I am getting ready to rewire my R150 that is getting restored. Planning to keep it 6 volt positive ground and want to upgrade to a fuse panel. I see Ron Francis has a 6 volt universal harness that may work for me. Has anyone used it or have any input, pros or cons.
Open for other options also.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Dennis

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: rewiring R150

Don,t Know about Ron Francis as i rewired my L from scratch, I did leave it 6 volt positive ground also. What I did do was take the wiring diagram down to a local print shop and had it blown up to poster size and hung it on the wall for an easy reference.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:43 pm

Ron Francis is the best wiring harness available. You will not be disappointed.
I had a corrosion problem with Painless Performance wiring, right out of the box. The customer service at Painful was not helpful.
I will have to rewire my 1940 Ford because of the corrosion. Next time I will use Ron Francis or American Auto Wire.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:24 am

Ron Francis components and support are top notch, you get what you pay for. I have also installed American Autowire without a problem, high quality parts, good support. I would steer clear of Painless products, pronounced Pain in the A** around my shop!
T

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Thank you for the feedback guys. I have not placed an order yet but will probably go with the universal 6 v kit from Ron Francis based on your replies and other research I have done. I will let you know how it goes when I get to it. Should be soon. Right now I am working on cab paint and hope to get it put back on the frame soon and move on to wiring, interior and other fun stuff. The frame and drive train are pretty much done.
Thanks. Hope all had a good Thanksgiving. I know Canada celebrates at a different time.
Dennis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Here in Canada we do Thanksgiving about 6 weeks ahead of our cousins on the south side of the 49th parallel. My wife buys local free-range turkey. The local retail shop offers a choice of more than six free-range organic growers. These turkeys can be nearly twice as expensive, but the flavour is worth it.
I have a nearly 100 year old roaster for our turkey. The roaster is made of steel, fairly large and always makes the best roast turkey. I have owned this roaster for 50 years. It is a family heirloom, three generations.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Age enhanced reading read that as "100 year old rooster" Man, I bet that was one tough bird!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:41 am

What’s the exchange rate between Canadian and USA turkeys by today’s standards?
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:25 am

The wiring in these old binders is pretty basic. I'll be rewiring my L this winter and will build my own harness, it just takes a little time and patience.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:14 pm

Received my 6v wiring kit from Ron Francis yesterday. Looks good. The picture on their online catalog is a bit deceiving though. The fuse block does not include the relay or flashers as shown. Ok with me but don't be miss led. The directions in the kit lists them as not included. Looking forward to installing but will be a bit because of other items that need to come first. I'll try to attach a pic of the kit.
Kit and packaging look great.
Dennis

ron francis wiring.jpg
Next

Return to L, R and S