Push Rod

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:00 am

Push Rod

Working on things this old in this depth is new to me so I hope you guys don't get tired of all my questions I will have going forward.

I pulled the valve cover on the engine that sat for 35 years. Take a look at the picture below. The one push rod looks out of place and is very loose. None of the others are like this. Can this be adjusted by the "screw" on the end of the rocker arm to close the gap? Is there something wrong/broken here?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:10 am

Re: Push Rod

Rod looks bent, My guess someone tried to turn it over with a valve that was stuck. Loosen the adjustment, and pull out the rod, roll it on a flat surface to see if it is bent before going any further.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:35 am

The rod is loose and I can make it straight in line or off to the other side. It flops all over the place. Very loose. I haven’t pulled it but doesn’t seem bent. Just no tension on it anywhere.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:46 am

As I said, you have a stuck valve, best to pull the rod and be sure it isn't bent. The valve will need to be free'd up but if the rod is bent that will not solve the problem. Start by making sure the rod is not bent, then move on to freeing the valve, I may require pulling the head off.
With the rod out, you can rotate the rocker arm out of the way and try and address the valve with the head in place.
It all starts with pulling the rod.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:28 pm

Got it makes sense.

Return to L, R and S