Spare Tire Mount

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:59 pm

Spare Tire Mount

IMG_1177.JPG
[attachment=0]IMG_1176.JPG[/attachment

I got to work on my truck today doing odds and ends and I finished up with at least taking a look at the spare tire mount to see what will be needed. I held the spare in place and none of the existing holes line up with the lug holes in the rim. I am wondering if anyone can post a detail shot of how the spare is mounted to the hanger? Also does the fender support the tire at all or should there be a gap between the tire and the cut out? Lastly in the picture you will see a previous owner had welded a plate on the face of the hanger. This can easily be cut off and not damage the original part which is in good shape, any thoughts on this?
Attachments
IMG_1176.JPG
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:44 pm

Re: Spare Tire Mount

That looks a lot like the mount on my '49 Kb, though the top piece is missing. If that add-on plate is removed, there may be holes behind it that match your wheel. Three lugs match on mine, plenty for just mounting the spare. Studs are used in the holes and the wheel is held on with the matching lug nuts. I don't think the fender supports the spare, I only remember seeing a gap in all the trucks I can recall.
Attachments
IMG_9875.jpg
IMG_9789.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks, that information and picture helps a lot! I think I'll start by making a cardboard pattern of the wheel center for some test fittings and lug location, the real thing weighs a ton!

BTW that KB of yours is gorgeous!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Pictures.
Attachments
SPARE TIRE MOUNT LRS.jpg
rspare tire right side mount.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:49 am

Thanks!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:18 am

You should be on your way with help from the pic's, the cardboard pattern is a good idea. Thank you for the compliment. Have fun!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:26 pm

So here's the update, none of the holes in the tire mount matched the hole pattern of my wheel. I don't know what the spare tire carrier is off of but it is not meant for this particular truck. What the added steel plate must be about is the some former owner started to make it work but never finished it. The good news is I drilled out the extended plate yesterday and added studs and now I have a functioning spare tire carrier and with the wheel and tire on you cant tell the difference!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Looks like the correct tire carrier, maybe it came off a 120 with 6 lug rims, of if yours is 6 lug it's a 5 lug rim carrier,

on MACGIVER's truck, the K, KB parts book doesn't list a box side spare tire carrier, (that I've seen), they put spare tire under rear frame on K, KB pickups,

since it is the one on a L, R, S, pickup perhaps a dealer or someone put it on after the fact, truck looks good with it anyway,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to L, R and S