Finally got the R-112 Home

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:58 am

Finally got the R-112 Home

After 5 months of this being in the works I finally got the R-112 home from my great grandmothers farm. The inside of the bed is pretty rough but other than that it is in really good shape considering it sat under roof for 35 years. Tires pumped right up and held air. Only 1 wheel was locked tight but it broke loose when pulling the truck out in the open. The crank turns with a bar so the motor is not locked up. The bed definitely shows this truck was used on the farm. The front of the bed is pushed/bowed against the cab and there is a gap/crack in the front of the bed itself where it meets the bed floor. The bed floor is very wavy and is rotted completely through in spots. The rear of the passenger fender backed into something at some point as it looks like it was pounded back out with a hammer. I pulled the rubber mat out of the interior floor and it had held some moisture pretty bad leaving a 6"x12" spot under the pedals that will need replaced for sure. Driver side window has a crack and windshield has minimal fogging at the very bottom but other than that glass looks decent. Motor is complete. Only thing that really concerns me with the motor as of now is there was ZERO coolant in it. Hopefully there isn't a crack or something else that let coolant escape. The top of the radiator was plugged with a plastic cap and the hoses have some holes rotted through. Maybe it evaporates over time? Starter is fried and that's why the truck was parked to begin with. The solenoid did click and a couple of the lights worked. Frame is very solid. You can see in the one picture the tailgate is in the bed. It was covering a man hole in the barn floor. LOL. Although tailgate is rough, I was happy to see that we found it and it made it's way with the truck. Seats are useable and in good shape. Overall the truck seems to be in good shape and my journey begins. I'm not going to get too crazy with the restoration. Get it running good and safe to drive and worry about what I will do with the body later.

Only 1 question so far. Where is the best place to get a R-112 shop manual? Is there a free one available anywhere?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:42 am

Re: Finally got the R-112 Home

Very nice...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:34 am

Overall that is in great shape, nice truck! When I brought my 51 home there was no anti freeze in it, the expansion (freeze) plugs had rusted through and the coolant had drained out through those areas. I gave me a good an opportunity to clean all the crud out of the water jacket on the motor before replacing them. There is a manual on line but I don't have the link anymore, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give that to you.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:06 am

Nice looking old pick-up. I did a quick search on ebay for shop manuals and found a couple:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-1952-1953 ... :rk:2:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-1955-INTE ... rk:11:pf:0
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:08 pm

There are several resources here also: viewforum.php?f=44

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:36 pm

I am not sure if this is the exact manual for your truck, but it will have lots in common, and it will get you started for sure.

http://restoringcornelius.com/truck-fac ... s-library/
56 S-120 4x4 started the whole mess.
S-132 dually longbed,
S-120 4x4 Travelall,
S144 Forestry truck,
S160 Holmes tow

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Nice looking truck! A lot nicer looking than my '53 when I brought it home.

Keep us posted on progress.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Is that larger spoked wheel a dealer installed option? Maybe it was designed for better highway speed? If that big wheel need attention try this guy. https://youtu.be/5JVcE8gho4k
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 am

Love the looks of the old truck...what is the plan for it?

The trim rings make it look even cooler...

MikeC

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:39 am

Here's my update 3 1/2 weeks in. The plan for this truck is to get it safely running and driveable by spring. I have zero plans at this point for any cosmetics and body work. Drive it next summer and if I decide to do any body work start that process next winter.

Here is what I have done so far. My wife thinks I'm insane, and rightfully so. There has only been 1 day I haven't done something with this truck and that is because we had something after work and didn't get home until 10pm that day. I pretty well have all parts ordered and installed or at home ready to re-install.

*Pulled the radiator and gas tank and took to repair shop. Radiator core is junk so I bought a new one from ebay. Gas tank is still at shop getting flushed and lined.
*Pulled both starter and generator and took to shop for rebuild. I have starter back and installed.
*Plugged radiator hose inlet/outlet on engine block and filled block with water. It retained all water and did not leak anywhere.
*Pulled head because I could tell there were some stuck valves. Took to machine shop and they still have it. Cylinders look real good and it has 30 over pistons.
*Pulled the oil pan and cleaned because when I drained the oil I stuck my finger in and there was an inch of sludge settled in the bottom of the pan. From what I can tell looks pretty good from underside.
*Soaked carburetor and have ready to rebuild.
*Installed new wheel cylinders and brake lines/hoses. New master cylinder on the bench ready to go in.
*Installed new brake shoes on wheel that was locked up and corroded.
*New brake hardware.
*Took two wheels with hub/drum still attached to shop because I could not break nuts loose. Would have helped to know they were left hand thread! LOL. Had them turn the drum that was corroded.
*New tires/tubes on the way.
*Installed in-line fuel filter. New fuel pump sitting on bench.
*Cleaned points and lubricated distributor.
*Put about 100 pumps corn head grease in the steering box.
*Check transmission and rear end lube. Transmission was good. Rear end was empty so I filled up for now.
*Put on new return springs for gas pedal and carburetor.
*New air cleaner, oil breather, 6v battery, spark plugs, plug wires, heater bypass hose, radiator hoses, gasket sets, fan belt, etc, etc, etc
*Installed mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauges

Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

:p1003: :t3901; :t3901; :t3901; :t3901; :t3901; :t3901; :t3901; :t3717:
Next

Return to L, R and S