Holly carb

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Holly carb

IMG_5181.JPG
I've had my truck for 10 years ('56 S-120 4x4). As long as i have had it the carb has seeped gas. This causes the carb to have gas on it and get dirty and there is a very small place where it drips occasionally on the manifold. Should I rebuild the carb or wait til it leaks worse? Any suggestions on where to take the carb or what to do with it?
Attachments
IMG_5184.JPG
IMG_5183.JPG
IMG_5182.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:38 am

Re: Holly carb

The Holley on my S120 did the same thing. The drip was coming from the float bowl. It had the added annoyance of having an empty float bowl if it sat for awhile making the next start up difficult. Replacing the float bowl gasket on mine fixed the problem. The gasket is an easy one to make if you have gasket material or buy the rebuild kit and use the one from that.
Last edited by Binder Mike on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
56 S120 4x4,

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:50 am

I have no answer, only additional information.

The Holley type 1904 has the bowl on the side, thus there is a bowl gasket on the bottom. The zinc alloy body (and the replacement zinc bowl) both warp, causing leakage. Originally, these came with a glass bowl, so originally, only the body warped. Sometime about 1960 someone with some authority determined there was a minute possibility that under certain condition (wreck), it was possible that maybe the bowl could break and cause a fire. Thus the glass bowls were eliminated, and the carburetor leaked twice as bad.

Replacing the bowl gasket MIGHT stop the leak for awhile. It will leak again.

The zinc alloy casting can be straightened using heat and a special jig, but in a year or so, or sooner, the castings will warp again, and the leak will return.

Not suggesting you do so, however, if the truck were mine, I would be looking for a factory Carter or Zenith to replace the Holley.

Jon.
Good carburetion is fuelish hot air!

If you truly believe one size fits all, try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner, The Carburetor Shop in Missouri

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 am

From a personal stand point I will say I prefer my current Holley over the Zenith I had on my last old IH truck performance wise, time will tell on that.
56 S120 4x4,

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:17 am

I have also experienced this problem. I thought it was over tightening the screws on the sides.

The way I fixed it was to get a new gasket and put some Permatex #2, on both sides of the cork gasket and install. its best to let it sit for a bit to 'harden' up before you put gas in the bowl. Works like a charm for me.
56 S-120 4x4 started the whole mess.
S-132 dually longbed,
S-120 4x4 Travelall,
S144 Forestry truck,
S160 Holmes tow

Return to L, R and S