L110 stuck drum

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:44 pm

L110 stuck drum

I have been working on the brakes on my l110 and I have run into a problem. I took the wheel off but I can't get the brake drum off. I have spent two whole days on it now with no luck. It is the driver's side rear wheel btw. I have tried all of the following methods: heating up the drum with a torch, drilling out the anchor pins and unbolting the wheel cylinder, and prying it, all the while I was banging on it with a hammer and hosing it and the insides down with pb blaster. All this did is give me the ability to turn the drum but I am pretty sure it has a lip because when I pull on the drum, the shoes move with it. The only thing I haven't tried is using a puller, but is there one made that is compatible with an l110? Any help is greatly appreciated!

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:00 pm

Re: L110 stuck drum

The axle is tapered, as is the hub. They are a tight fit by design. Rust tends to make it even tighter. You need a puller.

Also, the drum is swaged to the hub so they have to be removed together. I’ll post pics later tonight. Welcome to the joys of antiquated axle design.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:33 pm

You probably already did this but in case you didn't make sure you have backed the brake adjuster all the way off. It makes a big difference as to how easy the drum comes off.
56 S120 4x4,

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:54 pm

I don't know if you picked up on what AZD posted, but here's the situation with your rear drums : The only way to get them off is by removing the giant nut on the end of the axle ( after you straighten out the tabs on the locking device that keeps that nut from coming loose, of course ), and then, if necessary, using a puller to remove the drum/hub assembly from the axle.
The IH rear drums from that era are completely different from Ford & Chevy, so, if that's what you've worked on in the past, do not use your experiences on them to guide you in working on the IH units.
Good luck with your project !!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:05 pm

I must admit it was 8 years ago when I did a 4 wheel brake job on my I/2 ton L truck but I did get the drums off without a puller. I must of got lucky.
56 S120 4x4,

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Could somebody possibly reply to me with a link for a puller that would work on my l110 drum? Thanks!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:06 pm

you need to rent one of these,

tighten up legs to drum with lug nuts,

tighten up big T handle to put a load on drum, then smack end of tool with a BFH,

need to shock drum off the taper axle,

Drum and hub are swedged together as a unit, they do not separate,
Attachments
drum-puller.jpg
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks, that helps!

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:21 pm

I was going to post a bunch of great pictures - but I keep forgetting my phone crashed and I lost most of them. Unfortunately that includes documentation of an entire L110 brake system rebuild (wheel cylinder honing, seals, axle shims and gaskets, creepy things living where brakes should be, etc.). However, I do have one of my drum puller. As bedrockjon described, they don't pull so much as violently shock. The threaded part sets up the tension, then the BFH releases it by pounding on the center of the handle. The forces involved must be terrible. It's a hefty chunk of steel.

Drum_Puller.JPG
Taller than a longneck Spiffy

Hopefully you can rent one. I couldn't find a rental so bought this instead, and I'm glad I did. I've used it a lot recently.

The drum and hub are swedged together, which is why the darn drum won't come off. The studs are put in a press and essentially deformed like rivets to hold everything together. Crappy design, in my opinion. If, for instance, a previous owner forcefully separated the assembly to perform a brake job without a puller, you might end up with damage that could set you back months, including several misadventures at the only shop in town that (almost) knows how to swedge new drums. Just saying...

On a related note, my brother and I are currently coming up with a low-cost modification to the rear hubs which will allow them to use brand new slip-on drums and forever be done with this swedging, hub-pulling nightmare. Should be ready this weekend.

Bonus pic (meaning the only other one that didn't get deleted): A 1/2 ton axle shaft freed from its hub and housing. That taper on the right side doesn't look like much, but oh man it's a beast to get loose.

L110_Axle.JPG
The source of our frustration

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:40 am

I just went through and did the brakes from front to rear in my L110 this past summer. My son helped so I took some pictures, let me see if I have any good ones of him pulling the rear drums.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Next

Return to L, R and S