1950 L110 door hinges

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:51 pm

1950 L110 door hinges

Read a post that indicated problems with the hinges on the 1950 L110. What is the problem? And what should I look for? Is it where the
hinge pivots? Is there a fix for the problem? Doors open and close without issue.

My truck overall is in great shape for the age.

thanks in advance for the info.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: 1950 L110 door hinges

I answered this post earlier today with my Blackberry. After I click SUBMIT the message is gone forever and out of my control. It did not post.
THE PROBLEM
The OEM hidden hinger were prone to cracking and often allowing a door to fall off. Back in the day, many Old IHC pickups were bought and not treated like trailer queens. Hard work in often rough conditions required a much stronger hinge than this new to 1950 design. I understand IHC only produced the hidden hinge for less than a year.
I have had offers of free earl "L" trucks and always turned down the freebee trucks. Some person thing the rareness of the hidden hinges make this truck more valuable and desirable. This would be a person choice. Since Old IHC made so few of these hidden hinge trucks and there was a problem with the hinges, just think of the difficult anyone might have if they started to look for good used parts. These trucks were considered to be throw-away back in the day. Out on Canada's Prairies there is a good chance of an early IHC pickup sitting in a rural yard to half of a century. It may have been parked because of the broken hinges. There is some suggestion IHC changed the design in less than 6 months and late 1951 the later hinges were on the trucks. A hidden hinge truck doors and cab fit only that model, no other model.
Another difference on the first series "L" was the cross-cab-support. IHC spot-welded the support on the inside of the cab. A good shaking on rough terrain often broke the spotwelds and the cab settled onto the frame.
Check these areas for cracking and the cross-bar separation and if all else checks out and this is the truck you want, do what makes you happy.
I do not know, but I would hazard a guess, that you will not be beating on your "L" over rough terrain. It may last as long as you do.
Your email suggeted that you think Old IHC built a stronger pickup. Maybe, maybe not so much. The other pickup builders of that way back time made equally good and better trucks. Old IHC often did not get paint on all of the exposed surfaces. The Comfo-Vision cab starting with the "L" had a bad design for windshield sealing Water could get in and under the windscreen seal and settled in the corners. This trapped moisture would rot out the metal and water would drip onto the floor where the water would cause rusting under the drivers floor mat. Check this out. This can be an expensive fix.
After the 1951 "L" IHC made lots of changes and the ComfoVision cab became better, except the cabs still rusted in the windshield corners and the lower cab corners. IO bought one low mile garage kept R110. It was all original. The cab had been painted after the box was installed. There was no paint on the back of the cab or on the front of the box.
I prefer the later visable hinges because I can drill/ream and install sleeves then ream them to size to tighten an old hinge. I have never had to do this on and OLD IHC hinge. I like to be able to install rear-view mirrors to the later hinges.
The similar hinges on my 1940 Ford all had to be reconditioned. I have a machine shop so I did the mill-work. It took a full day of my hobby time. At shop rates that would have been $1250. cdn for 8 hinges.
IHC went out of business because of bad managment. Management picked a fight with the UAW and everyone lost. The story of a a great American company with a history of more than 150 years went quietly to the poor-house. Ford are still making pickups and Ford sell a new "F" series every 53 seconds.
I have my reasons for keeping Old IHC pickups. The reasons may not be good ones. BUT, I like the Binders because they are unusual and my Dad had one. I have an even more rare IHC crewcab from the early 1950s. This is an example of IHC getting something right and then messing up on the rear cab mount. The rear of the cab was fastened to a 2"X8" maple plank. the plank was bolted to the frame in the usual places.
Keep your "L" close to stock. If you are going to bigger power, stay conservative, The frame will thank you. Check the frame for cracks and breakage, at the front, under the radiator where two angle braces meet the front cross-member
I installed Jeep Wrangler mirrors on my R120. The mirrors looked like they belonged there.
Attachments
R120 at the ROSETOWN SHOW.jpg
Jeep miror
hinge_mirror_bracket_1[1].jpg
hinge with mirror bracket
a83fa344-44dc-42d3-9155-d19fc8b83e1d.jpg
a83fa344-44dc-42d3-9155-d19fc8b83e1d.jpg (24.58 KiB) Viewed 2341 times
AAH OOH GAH GOES HERE.jpg
IHC crewcab R series.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:24 am

Great info, many thanks. So that I understand the hinge situation correctly - the problem is where the hinge mounts
inside the cab ? Away from the truck until next Friday, will get back with some photos.
Will also check the cross cab support.
Crew cabs? Wow, that is very cool. Lots of possibilities there.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:09 pm

One more time. The problem is the hinges. Look for cracking.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Return to L, R and S