L130 parts worth anything?

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:37 pm

L130 parts worth anything?

I am starting the process of having a shop swap both the engine and tranny in my 1950 L130. There is a possibility I will be swapping both axels as well, all depends on cost. I'm wondering if there is any value/interest in some of the parts that will coming out of the truck.

Currently the truck has a BD220 with a T9 trans. The engine runs but one of the vales is broken and only runs on 5 cylinders, hence the engine swap. I had installed a new clutch not long ago and is very good conditions. I did some work to the trans not long ago as well (seals, gaskets, and the easy to access bearings) and is in good working order with no leaks. I also have the remaining new bearings if someone wanted to do a full overhaul. The trans break was relined the same time I worked on the tranny.

I am willing to ship smaller items but if someone wanted large heavy items, say the engine, you would have to come get it.

if there is interest in any of these parts you may message me.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:14 am

Re: L130 parts worth anything?

From what has been written here before, your plan is valid in that you probably want a more modern powertrain for your truck. And with more power means a need for better braking, steering. I get it. One guestion I have to ask is, since you’ve already invested a fair amount into this powertrain, why not remove the head, have it overhauled, along with any freshening up of the engine block and continue with what you have? Most established engine rebuild shops or machine shops can do the work, albeit with associated costs, and you won’t need to worry about having to adapt a new powertrain into the the existing chassis, along with one or both axles. I guess what it boils down to is what’s your motivation to sell old parts and buy new(er) parts?
The value of the old parts are only as much as someone who wants them is willing to pay. If there are a lot of people wanting to buy the parts, you can ask a higher price, but if there are fewer people wanting the parts, it’ll be tougher to get a decent price. I don’t know where you are located and therefore how plentiful your target market is. Do your parts have value? Yes, but to a very limited number of people and where you live determines how many people may be interested in picking up parts. Shipping them helps enlarge your chances of selling, but only if a lot of potential customers know you have the parts for sale.
Asking if the parts have value, is but a small part of the equation of ultimately selling said parts.
Then comes the element of time. How much time are you willing to spend on selling very specific used parts to a very specific target market. Time has a certain amount of value as well and should be a part of that equation mentioned.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:49 pm

I cannot get a price on cast iron this morning. Clean steel is worth $365 for a metric ton. As scrap, with the weight being about 1000# your components should bring about $150.
The cost of rebuilding that Old IHC motor can be quite high. With a broken valve there could be catastrophic damage that is beyond repair, at any reasonable cost.
I do not know if this is of any interest to you, but?? I have bought and transplanted 4X4 axles into Old IHC pickups. This was for me the easiest conversion, going from two straight axles to two more modern straight axles. The transfercase can be added at a later date.
Check your local Craigslist for a Cummins 4bta Diesel. This engine fit right into the space for the engine. Even the fan matches the radiator shroud. With most engine and transmission upgrades the cross-member for the back of the IHC engine will have to be removed. Do not forget to replace this crossmember with another custom crossmember. Before you go too crazy on this upgrade, give the frame a good inspection for cracks and breakage. The most common cracking is at the front where the two triangle frame members are connected to the front X member. This will be just under the radiator. Frame cracks and breakage was common where the cab and the box meet.
You could not give me a 1950. I have bought and parted out 14 Old IHC pickups. I have turned down about 5-6 1950. Only the grills, fenders, hood and inner fenders exchange with other years.

Your IHC is a 1950 and likely has the rare hidden hinge doors. IHC dropped this hidden hinge design because of reliability and breakage. Rare is wonderful if you have a Duesenberg, not so good if you have an IHC. There are few to no parts. The hidden hinge fiasco is not the only difference in the 1950.
If I was about to build up a 1950 IHC, these are the things I would want to know before the start.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:23 pm

starter, fuel pump, water pump, distributor, temp sender, oil pressure sender, all have value, probably more individually added up than motor as a whole,
non syncro trans not much, the parking brake unit sure,

strip the parts off, junk the rest, unless someone offers you something for it,

I've listed two rebuilt runner motors on here for years, no bites, a thrown valve motor? probably not so much,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:03 pm

Someone, not long ago was looking for a trans brake or parts, not sure which.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:33 pm

I should have been more specific, I was wondering if the parts had value in saving and if anyone would be interested in them. I know the monetary value varies depending on part, the buyer, etc. I’d rather save the parts for someone who may be interested rather then sending them straight to the scrap yard. Another remember messaged me with interest.

CB, thanks for the helpful info. The truck it is a 1950 with hidden hinges. The frame is good and the truck is overall in good condition with low original miles and spending most of its life sitting in two different garages in the PNW. I have a 4bta lined up for the swap and I’ve settled on a zf5 trans. The axels are still up in the air, possibly a ford 9”

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:06 am

I'll make one last attempt to offer a bunch of parts you may want, then it will most likely have to scrapped. I have a rolling chassis of a 1950 L130 long bed with just about everything other then the body. I did a frame swap and now I need to get rid of everything else. Before the swap it ran and drove well, I used it often, then a valve broke, so I decided to make some big changes. The engine still runs but its not well. Everything else is there and works; straight frame, 4speed tranny, trans brake recently relined, drive line, working brakes, original split rims, ect. Ideally I would like to see someone take the whole thing as I do not have the space to store it and the easiest thing to do it scrape it, but I know there a lot of useful parts. The truck is currently in Marrysville, WA and I can bring it to Seattle if needed. Message me if you are interested or would like more info.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:11 am

If you have brake drums with good material- They are rare; and, should be easy to sell.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:02 pm

I understand not having room to keep a lot of stuff, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, there are "smalls" that are always being looked for and are easier to ship than a large item.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:04 am

lbesq wrote:Someone, not long ago was looking for a trans brake or parts, not sure which.

I was looking for the Trans Brake lever and mounting bracket.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Return to L, R and S