L110 rear fender brace

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:43 am

L110 rear fender brace

Hey Guys, I am now welding up my fenders and have fabricated a pair of rear fender braces that I am hoping will work. I have never seen the original factory braces, only two small pieces of the originals, giving me the location where they were welded from the factory. I couldn't find any pictures in my books either. What I am looking for is any input on issues that I might run into before welding these to the fender...I know, what ugly a** welds!

Thanks again,
Terrell
Attachments
rear fender brace 3.JPG
rear fender brace 2.JPG
rear fender brace 1.jpg

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Re: L110 rear fender brace

Hey Terrell----don't feel at all self-conscious about those welds. They are BEAUTIFUL !!!!!, because they're giving that binder the extra life that all of us out here applaud, every time we see it happen :-)
Very few of us are pro welders, and I for one will never apologize for what mine look like. As a matter of fact, my fender braces look EXACTLY like yours, and I'm proud as all get out of them.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:16 pm

Those fender braces were never welded to the fenders. The bottom of each fender had a spot-welded tab that the fender to frame brace bolted to.
Follow the yellow arrow in the attached picture. Picture taken from an IHC parts book. It should be easy enough to guestimate the location.
Attachments
FENDER STIFFENER.jpg
FENDER STIFFENER LOCATION
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 am

Thanks for the input! Nick, the picture you posted is for the front fender brace, I have already repaired the factory original there and the mounting tabs on the fender. The brace that I fabricated in this thread is for the rear fender, my main concern is that it will be too close to the tire when everything is reassemble. I did see the Spot welded ends on (both ends) one of my fenders where the brace had broken off, that’s how I got the locations. I modified my fabricated braces to straighten the bottom bolt hole that was cracked and broke away on both fenders.

Thanks a lot,
Terrell

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:38 am

you dont have to be a good welder, just a good "grinder" :)

These braces will work just fine. If i recall, they sit pretty low. I'll try to snap a pic for you tonight.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:53 am

Nikki is right, only the bracket was welded originally. Those should work just fine though. Good job, and don't apologize for your welds unless you are a professional welder.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Return to L, R and S