More Electrical Questions

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:15 pm

More Electrical Questions

Today I finally got my carburetor issues sorted out and got the truck to idle and run correctly without the Holley flooding out and this gave me chance to monitor the charging system. I polarized the genny and ran the truck. With the truck off I got 6.24 volts at the battery, with it running at fast idle I got 6.3 volts on my digital multimeter. I would have thought I'd see around 8 volts. One other thing I did was disconnect the battery while it was running to see if it would run off the generator without the battery in circuit, it immediately died. My thoughts are I have a problem with the generator or regulator. Am I on the right track with this? One last thing to mention that while I have my new double aught cables hooked up the battery is on it's last legs and needs a boost to start the truck. Seems like there is just enough voltage to power the ignition and run the truck but little else. I'm wondering if the poor condition of the battery has any effect on my readings and results. I should have my new battery next week.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Re: More Electrical Questions

6.9-7.2 should be about right for a running truck. Does the truck have an ammeter or an idiot light?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:05 pm

It has an ammeter, very slight movement, it doesn't act like it's working compared to the one that was in my old L 112.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:20 am

If it is dying when you unhook the battery you have a charging issue. I'd start by bench testing the generator.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:45 am

Quick test: remove the belt and jumper from the battery to the heavy B+ or A terminal on the generator should "motor" on its own. If it does, the generator is likely OK.
The voltage reg needs a good ground to operate, so check that and the wireing between the reg and genny.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Good info guys, thanks!
56 S120 4x4,

Return to L, R and S