Locking Hubs for IHC S120

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:09 am

Re: Locking Hubs for IHC S120

Remember, with the old (closed knuckle, Ball type joint) the upper trunnion and U joint are lubed by the rotation of the axle shaft, if most of the running is in 2WD with lock out hubs, the upper trunnion with not get lube.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Pictures would be a good idea. I don't know if what you are saying is what I need to know.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:53 pm

Those old ball type knuckle joint had heavy oil or light grease in the ball section, (like CV joint grease) that would be moved around by the U joint (which itself has no grease nipple in it as there is no way to get in there and grease it) Both the upper and lower pivot point as well as the U joint are lubed by the oil/grease in the ball.
The It has a bronze bushing and or a taper bearing (some used bearing on the lower and bushing on the top) that get lubed by the rotating axle shaft.
I had an early Dodge 4x4 that had that that Ball knuckle.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:40 pm

Does the attached picture have what you describe as "HUBS?"
I bought these WARN 20990 locking hubs for our L110 project. These hubs are for a Dana 44 equipped Jeep Wagoneer. I will not be using these hubs for our build because I changed the axles for something wider from a 1997 RAM 1500 4X4. WARN locking hubs cannot be fitted to the RAM 1500 system.
Attachments
Warn20990.jpg
WARN HUBS # 20990
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:23 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Does the attached picture have what you describe as "HUBS?"
I bought these WARN 20990 locking hubs for our L110 project. These hubs are for a Dana 44 equipped Jeep Wagoneer. I will not be using these hubs for our build because I changed the axles for something wider from a 1997 RAM 1500 4X4. WARN locking hubs cannot be fitted to the RAM 1500 system.

Yes that is what I mean't by locking hubs. Thanks for the info about the top bearing benefiting from the hubs be locked in every so often, that makes perfect sense! I've done it for years on my old 4x4's with closed knuckles by default. I live up a steep road in a canyon at 7,700 ft in elevation so the hubs get locked in quite often year round.
Last edited by Binder Mike on Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
56 S120 4x4,

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:05 am

Binder Mike,
I am guessing you are looking for hubs like these. I have stored these for many years, like 20. I just could not bring myself the throw them out. One looks a bit abused. I think they may have gotten stuck and someone worked them over because they had little to no patience or sense. I digress. They are by no means a complete set, but have the major parts. It looks like most of the pins are missing. I wonder if these were heat treated pins or just plain cold steel? I have not idea. I would assume in today's internet age it would not take too much effort to find replacements at a decent price.

If you are interest we can work out a deal (please PM me)
Attachments
Locking hubs 2.jpg
Inside
Locking hubs.jpg
Topside
56 S-120 4x4 started the whole mess.
S-132 dually longbed,
S-120 4x4 Travelall,
S144 Forestry truck,
S160 Holmes tow

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:34 pm

56-S-Fan wrote:Binder Mike,
I am guessing you are looking for hubs like these. I have stored these for many years, like 20. I just could not bring myself the throw them out. One looks a bit abused. I think they may have gotten stuck and someone worked them over because they had little to no patience or sense. I digress. They are by no means a complete set, but have the major parts. It looks like most of the pins are missing. I wonder if these were heat treated pins or just plain cold steel? I have not idea. I would assume in today's internet age it would not take too much effort to find replacements at a decent price.

If you are interest we can work out a deal (please PM me)

PM sent
56 S120 4x4,
Previous

Return to L, R and S