R series with an S bumper

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:08 pm

R series with an S bumper

Does anyone have a picture of an R with a S bumper? I want an off-road rig look but older styling, so i think a S bumper would fit the bill.
55' R-110 w/Intercooled Cummins 4bt, Hoset HX30W, Ford ZF5, Borg Warner 1356 T-Case, Ford 8.8 w/3.73/9800 miles and counting/4x4 swap 50% done

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:32 pm

Re: R series with an S bumper

I have both "S" and "R" bumpers. They look the same to me. Try Googling 1956 International Harvester Pickup and check out the pictures. Not all of the "S" bumper shown are OEM bumpers.
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sour ... Cy6esdoLuY
This is what I did for a front bumper on my R120. I bought and restored a vintage WARN winch and WARN bumper set. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/elect ... ric-winch/
You do not have to hook-up the winch if all you are looking for is "The Look". If and when you get serious about powering up the winch you may want to use these battery cable connectors.
Attachments
BUMPER FRONT.jpg
THIS IS A PICTURE OUT OF MY IHC PARTS BOOK
BUMPER FRONT.jpg (31.77 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
battery connect 5.jpg
battery connect 4.jpg
battery connect 3.jpg
batery connect 1.jpg
R120 and me.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:10 am

I'm pretty sure the bumper stayed the same from the L through the S. IH wasn't big on changing things they didn't need to.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:50 am

nikkinutshop wrote:I have both "S" and "R" bumpers. They look the same to me. Try Googling 1956 International Harvester Pickup and check out the pictures. Not all of the "S" bumper shown are OEM bumpers.
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sour ... Cy6esdoLuY
This is what I did for a front bumper on my R120. I bought and restored a vintage WARN winch and WARN bumper set. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/elect ... ric-winch/
You do not have to hook-up the winch if all you are looking for is "The Look". If and when you get serious about powering up the winch you may want to use these battery cable connectors.

I guess they are the same, i happened to see one on craigslist and it was different from mine. I dig that Warn bumper, i dont need a winch but i certainly could build a replica rather quick.
55' R-110 w/Intercooled Cummins 4bt, Hoset HX30W, Ford ZF5, Borg Warner 1356 T-Case, Ford 8.8 w/3.73/9800 miles and counting/4x4 swap 50% done

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:25 pm

I sold the Warn Winch and Warn bumper set. I bought a different electric winch. This second winch is mostly aluminium and noticeably lighter than the Warn. I do not remember the brand of this second winch. I will try to take a picture of it today. I know exactly where it is. Getting to it may be a situation.
I think the extra weight of the Warn winch and bumper ahead of the front axle made the front wheel bearings wear out too soon. The way the truck steered was different and even with power steering, it was heavier. I did not think this was a deal breaker.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:01 pm

The L and R bumpers are the same, but the S bumper is different.
DSCN4416.jpg

P1010474.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:34 pm

I agree with Paul the are not the same, but who's gonna know.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:44 pm

m
IMG_1149.JPG

Mine's been customized.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:25 pm

Not too many years ago and when I was parting out R&L pickups, I used to toss badly damaged front bumpers in the company scrap bin. Suddenly the demand for front bumpers became greater than the supply. I started to take a bent trade in bumper for a straightened one. I have an "R" front bumper that looks like half of a McD's golden arches sign. I kept it and with a little effort I can press straighten it to as good as new.
Another good front and rear bumper option is the Ford bumpers for the F-1 trucks. https://www.bobdrake.com/4852bumpers.
I do not like the IHC clunky styling and I/we will likely use the Ford F-1 bumpers on our two remaining projects.
Attachments
Jim Hayes Binder.jpg
This Binder got F-1 bumpers

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:33 pm

F-1 is the route I went. Ordered it from NPD in bare steel, modified the L110 frame ends to fit inside the bumper, welded up the original F-1 mounting holes, drilled new holes to bolt through the bumper and frame ends. After all the mods I had it chromed, but it could have been painted had I wanted to go that route.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.
Next

Return to L, R and S