Making a Fender Lip

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:54 pm

Making a Fender Lip

Does anyone know where I can get a rolled fender lip piece made or tips on making the part. The radius of the fender makes in more tricky. My buddy was able to patch all the other body parts but does not have the tools to make the rolled fender lip on a radius. If you have any scrap parts of a Front Fender for the 1950 L series with a good lip in let me know. (I need to confirm which side) I don't need the whole fender and would not want to use a good fender for just that small area. Unfortunately the lower lips are what tend to rust out on these fenders. I will check around locally (Central PA) for a fab shop but nice to get advice from this forum as well. Thanks Gentlemen.
Attachments
IMG_1822.JPG
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Making a Fender Lip

You are making this job way too difficult. You need to make a simple tool from 1/2 inch round bar and weld it to a piece of 1/2 inch, 2" flat bar about 8 inches long. The round bar part can be formed (bent) into a radius. This tool is used to for the edge of a vender over into the shape you mention.
If this is too much for you, a piece of 7/16 inch steel flat bar can be ground into a radius on one end and use this as the forming tool. An inexpensive body hammer with a radius face can tap the rolled edge over the tool you made.
Here is a link to a selection of body tools. I have all of these tools plus a sand filled leather bag. I can form just about anything. http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/in ... ller.8350/
The picture is of the right inner fender I reformed to make room for ducting from a supercharger to an intercooler. It takes time and patience. This inner fender apron was about 6 hours in the making. EASTWOOD has some valuable You Tube videos.

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-panelbeater-sandbag.html
Attachments
right inner fender test fit with elecric horns.jpg
inner fender apron reshaped
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Re: Making a Fender Lip

Thanks for the great tip. Just getting into some body work so have much to learn. Thanks Again.
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Return to L, R and S