L110 Gauges

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:49 am

L110 Gauges

I have been getting my dash ready to go back into my cab once it gets back from the paint shop, have replaced all switches and am now on the original gauges. I thought I would share a few of the heartaches that I encountered....

All gauges either wouldn't work by reading wrong or the needle jumped erratically, even after cleaning all metal surfaces that were being used as ground. Using a Fluke meter they would all show constant wild swings in resistance. I ended up using a post of the Ammeter( that I am not using) as a ground point and hard wiring all gauges with clean mounting screws and star washers to that ground point. This solved the inaccurate readings.

Same problems with the two gauge lamp sockets( too rusty to clean, I replaced them with Ron Francis units ( P/N: PL-01), that have the ground hard wired so the can be attached with a screw with a star washer to clean metal that is attached to the grounding stud.

The gas sending units....The Bob Drake unit that I purchased ( p/n: 99A-9275) is 108 ohms empty and 14.4 ohms full. That pegs the gas gauge on full( sticking the needle) and empty still shows a quarter of a tank of fuel. The second unnamed unit that I got from me brother is 244 ohms empty and 31.3 ohms full. That is perfect on empty but only shows as a 3/4 full indication at the full swing of the arm in the tank full position. I'm in the process of digging my original unit out of my storage to see if anything is still usable on it......this is still not resolved.

Areas where my good intentions screwed up the gauges that I was working on:

While trying to remove the rusty nuts off one gas gauge power stud i sprayed PB Blaster on it to let it soak over night, the next day as soon as I tried to remove the nut, the stud twisted off from the cardboard like material the stud is crimped on. Do not use penetrating oil! More scrap metal....

While painting the needles red I used a old business card under the needle to mask the face of the gauge, this worked well until I lifted the card too quickly removing it on one gauge unattaching the very delicate connection between the needle and the inside workings....more scrap metal

After completing all wiring I will be soldering all connections and add dielectric grease.

Painfully slow, but steady progress....
Attachments
broken gauge.jpg
gauge 1.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Re: L110 Gauges

Terrell,
I have some extra gauges, some NOS, not sure if the "L" is the same as a "S".
I also have a NOS gas sender, the number is, 141641-R91
Send a PM or email if need b.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:19 pm

See the little round circle holes with the teeth in them?

Those are limiter adjusters for needle swing, one is for empty reading other is for full reading,

Thru trial and error you can adjust gauge to read correct with the drake sender
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:33 pm

I/we like the look of the Old IHC gauges. I have given away about 12+++ sets of the IHC quad gauge and speedometer sets. Our friend MAGIHC MIKE was the recipient of it all. Mike got around a dozen original heaters, also.
For our L110 Shorty project we will be using https://www.google.ca/search?q=automete ... 04&bih=955
Rather than trying to make the dashboard look exactly like the OEM, I/we will be milling our a dashboard system similar to what I made for our '40 Ford. I would like to see the quad gauge and the speedometer separated, left and right, by a tachometer in the middle. The gauge insert will be set into the dashboard and have the gauges mounted from behind. I have LED and fiber optics for the left, right and high-beam indictors. This is still in the planning stages. I might post pictures of the sketches in the near future.
Something new to us is the use of GPS information for the speedometer.
Attachments
gauges back side.jpg
BACK MOUNTED GAUGES
DASH INSERT BILLET.jpg
DASH INSERT FORD (red arrow point to the 3 fiber optic indicators.)
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:36 pm

I have seen the speedometers governed by GPS and wondered how well they respond through tunnels and in areas where GPS signals are weak or erratic. I know with the Garmin GPS unit we have, going into the mountains sometimes results in it searching for a signal and not being dependable until it refinds said signal. While I have heard they are reliable and accurate, I still question reliability under questionable conditions.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:47 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. We need to do more due diligence.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:22 am

Thanks for the info Guys,
My original fuel sender still works although it too has the dreaded wild resistance swings while moving the fuel level arm. I obtained a nos unit from Kevin(Thanks again) and replacement backup gauges that I broke. I'm hoping this will get everything back on track....
John- I did notice the teeth in the hole, and assumed they were for needle limit adjustments, but when trying to move them the teeth bent( see the posted picture of the disassembled gauge)
Nick- We installed a set of Dolphin gauges on my brothers '52 F1( purchased by my Great Grandfather new) that has a GPS speedometer, it has worked flawlessly in St Louis, but the only tunnel he deals with is the one at Lambert Field under the north runway( about 1/3 of a mile)...but it works under it.

Terrell
Attachments
broken fuel gauge.jpg

Return to L, R and S