Front Suspension Clips/Subframe

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Front Suspension Clips/Subframe

Does any one have experience here with doing a clip/subframe swap onto these trucks? I am working on a 52 L-110 and looking into IFS options. I've been reading as much as I can and I know a lot of people speak highly of the fatman kit that is made just for these trucks, but that is just outside my budget right now. I've always heard of people doing nova/camaro clips, S10 and even C10 swaps but can't seem to find any solid info about doing this to a IH. I've got a family full of hot rodders who say they would help do it, but it would still be nice to see what it would look like to decide if it is worth it to pursue.

Can anyone point me towards some info?

Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:43 pm

Re: Front Suspension Clips/Subframe

Do not cut and weld your frame. This may the best way to turn a good truck into scrap. Welding on these metal frames is not for amateurs with a HF buzz box welder. The heating of the frame metal will change the metal and the flex energy will be transferred to the last welded point and the frame will break.
Save your money for the Fatman IFS. I think WEW51L110 on this forum used the Fatman system and had good things to say about it.
There is/are no less expensive and safe ways to fix the front axle on these trucks. If you do a frame swap, as your first build, you will be courting a failure. A swap is not an easy event for even the experienced.
WEW is a Mechanical Engineer and he knows his stuff. I have had some good advice from WEW.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks Nikki for the kind words.
I know that splicing in a subframe sounds like an easy way to go. Think again. And then thank your lucky stars you didn’t do it. There are so many hidden stresses going on with a chassis that it takes a talented, experienced professional to properly assess a design the proper way to complete a subframe swap. There is a reason that car companies hire talented, trained professionals to design the chassis that go under different automobiles. Unless you have that kind of training, it’s not going to end well for the resulting vehicle. And I will interject here that, yes, I’ve seen numerous subframe swaps on vehicles at car shows I attend. I do not trust them, because there is no way to know how many of the stresses of the clip are fighting the stress of the remaining frame. So far the owner of the vehicle is lucky to be driving around. There are right ways and wrong ways to prepare a frame to receive a clip. That means 50% chance for success and 50% chance for failure. How do you like those odds? Are you trusting it’s right or wrong?
There is a reason why foundations for structures are designed to support that structure. Do you want to go alter that foundation “shade tree” style or are you going to seek a trained professional when the structure needs to be changed? The same principle applies to the frame of a vehicle. The frame is that vehicle’s foundation.
I went with the FatmanFabrication Mustang II frontend because I did my homework and I know how well they are engineered. They are based on sound engineering principles, fabricated and produced by a company that is owned by a professional engineer. If they fail, he is loosing his business, but more importantly, would loose his reputation. To him, his reputation is more important than anything. Yes, his products are expensive, but they are so for a reason. Quality costs. What kind of quality will you get prepping a butchered frame to accept a subframe clip? Most certified welders can do the welding, but what quality of design are you getting? For me it was a no brainer. I bought what I knew was quality. And Fatman offers kits to adapt clips to some frames. They haven’t designed one yet, as far as I know, for the IHC.
Just as with almost every topic on this forum, others will have varying opinions. I just shared mine.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:46 pm

I agree 100% with WEW51L110. His truck is well done. He keeps me honest with his constructive critique'.
Please try to not panic and do something that you will regret.
I will put myself out there and say, it is not possible to make a safe frame clip with an Old IHC frame. This will get a few "Yah but I" comments. Stress points are the unseen killer of these risky clips.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:31 pm

Nikki, I have to give you a Yah But, Happy New Year to you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks Kevin, And a Happy New year to you, also.
Attachments
KB bringing the tree home.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:36 pm

That pic looks like the old day, I like it.

Return to L, R and S