Carburetor experts only, please

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Re: Carburetor experts only, please

campermobile wrote:FYI
combiner 89: heat riser does function, static, mech, and vac advance working as they should and no vac leaks
buzzman 72: to my knowledge, Smokey did not race any IH vehicles
carbking: compression test within specs, jets to spec, orig air cleaner washer and stud in place, completed a timing by vacuum with little change

thank you again for positive feedback

one last question being, what modern carburetor would you suggest?

The 1901FF IS a modern carburetor.

If you are asking about a "new" carburetor, you are going to need a carburetor guru to re-calibrate ANY new carb that you buy, as the I.H.C. calibration curve will differ significantly from anything you can buy.

Repeating one of my previous posts, the 1901FF is a good carburetor. It may (or may not) have a problem, but if you do your tests, you will find the problem.

(Opinion) If your carb dude is recommending a "new" carb, I would suggest a "new carb dude".

I might also suggest burning out the fuel you have in the tank, and try some of the lowest octane fuel you can buy at a "name-brand" station. Your engine does not have either sufficient compression or sufficient static timing to burn the premium. This just might be your entire issue.

Jon.
Good carburetion is fuelish hot air!

If you truly believe one size fits all, try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner, The Carburetor Shop in Missouri

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:27 pm

We haven't heard back, likely because "the carburetor experts" didn't say just fit xxxx carb and all will be well.
Most who have a lot of experience working on carbs have their own favorite, mine would be a Carter BBD for a 2bbl. I would caution however, that it is not as simple of pulling the Holley and bolting on a BBD. I like Carter's metering rod system and find it does a good job. That being said, I stand by my original advice of sticking with what it came with. At least you know it was designed for the application.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:40 pm

You guys might not like my response, but I do not care. Without knowing what the situation is with the OP a "value" statement was made, and it happens on many threads. Perhaps OP has been busy and life has dictated that "computer" time is not as important as fixing something or paying the bills.

I have already removed one of my posts off another thread, It will NOT happen again. If What I post puzzles you, ask or just ignore it. Behind what everyone sees here, there is a lot of work and attempted work to keep this Forum available for ALL without making them feel that they do not measure up.
Sorry, but I am venting, NO one knows what is going on in another persons life.

I am off, unless someone needs to engage me. Just keep in mind, I still read all posts and will , as long as I am on this Forum, stay engaged in it. We can always use help if you think that anyone can do a better JOB.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:38 pm

I think the Value, started with the title of the thread, despite that, I and others have given our best advice.
1st he stated the heat riser wasn't working then seamed a little peeved that I said it was important and said is was?
His comment to Buzz that "Smoky never raced IHC's" really set the tone, dismissing some very valid points that all "experts" agree on.
Its still not clear if the timing spec have been checked against what is actually happening on the engine
If I seam a bit "shirty" that is why.
May be I should have toned it down a bit, but I think it needs to be said.
There are few that can match the knowledge of those that chose to give it their best, despite not getting clear answers and follow up.
So Lloyd, you might not like my response either, but I will explain my reason for making them.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:25 pm

Nope, I do appreciate your response. It was also a difficult day here. I really do apologize for my rant, at least in someways, but if you think back, sometimes "new" folks do get treated poorly here. As I state, and mean, I read every post put on this forum. I see them all. The OP was not very tactful, I grant. Peace. Be safe on your travels, I think about the miles you travel and hope to come by one of these days and say Hello in person.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:03 pm

I agree with carbking Jon, get that premium gas out of the equation and go from there,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Previous

Return to L, R and S